Dirichlet and Nuemann condition on the same boundary

In summary, the person's goal is to numerically solve Schrodinger's equation in 3D with a potential for unbounded states. They plan to do this by using an initial momentum and creating a small sphere with known solutions within it. The problem is that they do not know the boundary conditions for the outer sphere. The question is whether it is possible to find a unique solution for the wave function everywhere with only boundary conditions on the inner sphere. The response is that boundary conditions at infinity are necessary for finding energy eigenstates and having a particle at the origin with known momentum is not possible. The person also asks if boundary conditions are required for every boundary, to which the response is that this applies to every PDE, not just
Amit Abir
Hi,

My final goal is to solve numerically Schrodinger's equation in 3D with some potential for the unbounded states, meaning that far away from the potential (at infinity) we may find a free wave and not something that goes to zero.

The basic idea is that I have a particle in (0,0,0) that receives an initial momentum (kx,ky,kz), which is equivalent to knowing the wave function derivatives at the origin. My idea was to create a very small sphere, and say that within this sphere we know the solution: its just a plane wave e^(i k * r) with the given initial momentum k (hbar = 1).

So basically I want to numerically solve the problem of Schrodinger's equation between two spheres (the outer sphere will be taken to be large enough to contain all the data we need), and to find the wave function in this region, with Dirichlet boundary condition and Neumann boundary condition just on the inner sphere.

The problem: I don't know any boundary conditions on the outer sphere, only on the inner one.

The question is: is it solvable? Is knowing the function and its derivatives on the inner sphere enough to find a unique solution for the wave function everywhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to put some boundary conditions at infinity if you are after the energy eigenstates (and pick Dirichlet or Neumann at any other boundary).

You also cannot have a particle at the origin with known momentum.

Orodruin said:
You need to put some boundary conditions at infinity if you are after the energy eigenstates (and pick Dirichlet or Neumann at any other boundary).

You also cannot have a particle at the origin with known momentum.

Why must I have conditions on every boundary? Is it true for every PDE or just for this case?

Related to Dirichlet and Nuemann condition on the same boundary

1. What are the Dirichlet and Neumann conditions?

The Dirichlet and Neumann conditions are boundary conditions commonly used in mathematical and scientific fields, particularly in the study of Partial Differential Equations. They specify how a function or its derivative behave on the boundaries of a given domain.

2. What is the difference between Dirichlet and Neumann conditions?

The main difference between the Dirichlet and Neumann conditions is the type of information they provide. The Dirichlet condition specifies the value of a function on the boundary, while the Neumann condition specifies the derivative of a function on the boundary.

3. Can Dirichlet and Neumann conditions be applied on the same boundary?

Yes, Dirichlet and Neumann conditions can be applied on the same boundary, as long as the boundary is well-defined and the conditions are compatible with each other. This means that the value of the function specified by the Dirichlet condition must be consistent with the derivative specified by the Neumann condition.

4. How are Dirichlet and Neumann conditions used in solving PDEs?

Dirichlet and Neumann conditions are essential in solving PDEs, as they provide the necessary information to determine a unique solution. These conditions are typically used to set up the boundary value problem, which is then solved using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or numerical methods.

5. What happens if Dirichlet and Neumann conditions conflict with each other?

If Dirichlet and Neumann conditions conflict with each other, it means that they cannot be applied on the same boundary. This often leads to an ill-posed problem, where no unique solution can be determined. In such cases, additional information or alternative boundary conditions may be needed to solve the PDE.