Discrete Fourier transform question

In summary: With a ##y(t)## such as that given in the OP, yes. However, I cannot say more for now as it would help the OP too much.
thereddy
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
Summary:: Discrete Fourier transform exam question

Hi there, I'm not really sure how to do this question at all. Any help would be appreciated.
Annotation 2020-05-18 213422.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and berkeman
Looked at your exercise. Not for the faint-hearted.

My advice: if you don't know where to start, start where your knowing is. What do you know about sampling, DFT, etc. ? Can we make it easier with just ##f(t) = \sin(2\pi f_1 t)\ ## ?

Are you still here ?

BvU said:
Looked at your exercise. Not for the faint-hearted.
Depends on what is covered in the course. I would expect my students to be able to answer this question without too much thought, including even the complex phase of the frequency components.

DrClaude said:
Depends on what is covered in the course. I would expect my students to be able to answer this question without too much thought, including even the complex phase of the frequency components.
By looking at the function and the sampling rate i suppose we can conclude which going to be the main frequencies present in the DFT, but is it really possible to know the exact magnitude and phase of the DFT without actually doing the DFT ?

Delta2 said:
By looking at the function and the sampling rate i suppose we can conclude which going to be the main frequencies present in the DFT, but is it really possible to know the exact magnitude and phase of the DFT without actually doing the DFT ?
With a ##y(t)## such as that given in the OP, yes. However, I cannot say more for now as it would help the OP too much.

Likes Delta2

1. What is a discrete Fourier transform (DFT)?

A discrete Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts a sequence of discrete data points into a representation of the data in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in signal processing and data analysis to analyze the frequencies present in a signal or dataset.

2. How is a DFT different from a Fourier transform?

A DFT is a specific type of Fourier transform that is applied to discrete data points, while a Fourier transform can be applied to continuous functions. This means that a DFT is used to analyze data that is sampled at discrete intervals, while a Fourier transform can be used to analyze continuous signals.

3. What are the applications of a DFT?

A DFT has many applications in various fields, including signal processing, image processing, audio analysis, and data compression. It is also commonly used in the analysis of time series data in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

4. How is a DFT calculated?

A DFT is typically calculated using an algorithm called the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT). This algorithm breaks down the DFT calculation into smaller, more manageable parts, making it more efficient to compute. There are also other methods for calculating a DFT, such as the Discrete Cosine Transform (DCT) and the Discrete Sine Transform (DST).

5. What are the limitations of a DFT?

One limitation of a DFT is that it assumes the data is periodic, meaning that it repeats itself over a given interval. This can lead to inaccuracies when analyzing non-periodic data. Additionally, the DFT can only provide information about the frequencies present in a signal up to a certain frequency limit, known as the Nyquist frequency. Beyond this limit, aliasing can occur, which can distort the frequency information in the DFT.