Do you need to be a math genius to be a math professor?

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a PhD in mathematics and becoming a quant or math professor. They have concerns about job prospects and their ability to make significant contributions in the field. However, they are determined to continue learning and potentially teaching mathematics. Their plan involves attending university, obtaining a first class honours degree, pursuing a PhD, and eventually securing a lecturship. They are advised not to let their predictions of future success discourage them from pursuing their passion for mathematics and are reminded that satisfaction in the field does not solely depend on winning prestigious awards. The suggestion is made to work hard and find a reputable university and supervisor for their PhD studies.
Philosopher_k
I wrote in a previous thread that i would like to get a math phd, but after that become a quant or something. The reason i was set on that projected path was twofold. One i was unsure about the job prospects i.e. numbers involved in getting a full time job as a teacher. The other thing is that i doubt my ability to shape mathematics over my entire career, let's just say i don't see myself winning any prizes like the fields medal or abel. That being said i would still enjoy learning as much mathematics as my ability allows and i wouldn't mind teaching either. So i still see becoming a math professor as a viable option. I have entered various math competitions over the years but have never done very well in them, yet that does not phase me (is this an issue, should i be expecting to score in the top 5% to be considering a career in mathematics?)

So here is my plan. My system is a little different as i am Australian but any advice would be useful.

1. Attend university and major in mathematics from ANU (hopefully graduate with first class honours)
2. Go do my phd at Sydney, Anu, Adelaide, Melbourne
3. Get a postdoc job in USA/ Britain/ New Zealand/ Australia
4. Get a lecturship somewhere, even if it is at a second rate university.
5. Live happily ever after!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to realize that very, very few successful mathematicians had for an idea whether they were going to win any medals or not. Here, let's use Edward Witten as an example: he went through his undergraduate and some time after not even knowing what he wanted to do, then he was introduced to math/physics and started loving it. He now is the undeniable leader of string theory.

My point being, don't let your inaccurate prediction of the future govern your current choices. Surely very few people can predict winning a nobel prize, or a field's medal. Don't let this control you.

I am a (recently retired) university mathematics professor. (Therefore one does not have to be a genius to be a professor.) Some of my students who are obviously smarter than I am, did not become professors because they did not love math as much as I did. Because I loved it and wanted to follow that career, I never gave up, in spite of my many struggles.

People with fields or abel medals are really rare. I have met a half dozen or so of them, and they are indeed brilliant. But they are not at all typical professors. They seem to combine natural giftedness in the extreme, the best teachers, and hard work.

If you enjoy doing and teaching mathematics, I hope and believe you will find satisfaction in that career, wherever it takes you. Satisfaction is usually not about riches and fame, although it helps if you earn enough to live on.

Last edited:
I guess that won't be necessary. As long as one is working hard and get proper guide, he has the chance to make it. My suggestion is that you should work hard to get into a world top university for phd study, and find an excellent supervisor, then you have a greater chance to get a tenure in the future.

No, you do not need to be a math genius to be a math professor. While having a strong aptitude for mathematics is certainly important, being a successful math professor also requires a passion for teaching, effective communication skills, and the ability to adapt to different learning styles. As long as you have a solid understanding of the subject matter and a desire to continue learning and growing as a mathematician, you can certainly have a successful career as a math professor.

It is also important to note that success in math competitions does not necessarily determine one's ability to be a successful mathematician or professor. These competitions often focus on specific problem-solving skills and may not reflect the broader range of skills needed to excel in the field of mathematics.

Your plan to pursue a degree in mathematics, obtain a PhD, and gain teaching experience through postdoc positions is a solid one. It is also important to keep in mind that there is no one path to becoming a math professor. There are many opportunities for teaching and research in mathematics, and finding the right fit for your skills and interests is key. As long as you remain dedicated to your studies and continue to pursue your passion for mathematics, you can certainly have a successful and fulfilling career as a math professor.

1. Do I have to be naturally good at math to become a math professor?

No, being a math genius is not a requirement for becoming a math professor. While having a natural aptitude for math can certainly be helpful, becoming a successful math professor also involves hard work, dedication, and a passion for teaching.

2. Can I become a math professor if I struggle with certain areas of math?

Yes, struggling with certain areas of math does not disqualify you from becoming a math professor. In fact, overcoming challenges and difficulties in math can make you a stronger and more empathetic teacher for students who may also struggle in those areas.

3. Is it necessary to have a PhD in math to become a math professor?

Generally, yes. Most universities and colleges require their math professors to have a doctoral degree in math or a related field. However, there may be some exceptions and alternative paths to becoming a math professor, such as having extensive industry experience or teaching at a community college.

4. How much math do I need to know to become a math professor?

As a math professor, you will need to have a deep understanding of a variety of math topics, including calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and analysis. However, the specific level of proficiency may vary depending on the institution and the courses you will be teaching.

5. Can I become a math professor if I have a degree in a different field?

It is possible to become a math professor with a degree in a different field, but it may require additional coursework and training in math. Many universities offer post-baccalaureate programs or bridge programs for individuals with a bachelor's degree in a different field who want to pursue a career in math education.