Which PhD do I have a better shot in? Stats vs Applied Math?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's academic background in Statistics and Applied Mathematics, and their desire to pursue a data scientist job and a PhD. They are unsure if they should continue in Statistics or start fresh in Applied Mathematics. They also inquire about ways to improve their low GPA and whether they should switch fields. The expert advises that having a PhD in Statistics would be more relevant for a data scientist job, but it is important to pursue a field that is enjoyable. They suggest discussing with advisors and considering the potential loss of credits before making a decision to switch fields.
FallenApple
So I have a MS in Stats and a BS in Applied Math. For various reasons not related to raw ability, my GPA in Stats turned out to not be so good( 3.4) but my math GPA from undergrad is excellent ( 3.8). Should I even attempt continuing on in Stats or can I start over with a fresh plate in Applied Math?

My ultimate goal is to get a data scientist job and a PhD drastically improves my chances at landing a position in a top company. A stats PhD would be more ideal as that is more directly relevant, but I'm sure that Applied Math is very reputable as well, i.e much of machine learning algorithms is based off of convex optimization, which is a subfield of applied mathematics.

So which one should I apply to? And another question, is there any way to do damage control? That GPA is killing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
For damage control, your only options are to take more courses or to get your degree. I think your degree will speak volumes more than your grades in individual courses. Once you get established as a Data Scientist, your work experience will speak more than your transcripts and that too is your damage control.

If you feel you can get a PhD in Applied Math then go for it. It doesn't pay to struggle in a field you don't enjoy. However, if you've committed yourself to Stat then you should talk with your advisors and complete the degree. Switching should be considered a more drastic move especially if you'll lose a lot of credits in the switch.

1. Which PhD program has better job prospects: Statistics or Applied Mathematics?

Both Statistics and Applied Mathematics have strong job prospects, as they are both highly sought after fields in industries such as finance, healthcare, and technology. Ultimately, the job prospects will depend on your specific research focus and skills, as well as the current job market.

2. Which PhD program is more challenging: Statistics or Applied Mathematics?

Both Statistics and Applied Mathematics are challenging programs, as they require a strong foundation in mathematics and analytical thinking. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on your personal strengths and interests. It is important to carefully consider the coursework and research requirements of each program before making a decision.

3. Is a PhD in Statistics more theoretical while a PhD in Applied Mathematics is more practical?

This is a common misconception. Both Statistics and Applied Mathematics involve a balance of theoretical and practical applications. Statistics may focus more on data analysis and modeling, while Applied Mathematics may involve more computational and mathematical techniques, but both programs require a strong understanding of theory and its practical application.

4. Can I switch between a PhD in Statistics and a PhD in Applied Mathematics?

It is possible to switch between these two programs, as they share similar core concepts and skills. However, it may require additional coursework and research to make the transition. It is important to discuss your options with your academic advisor and carefully consider your research interests before making a decision.

5. Which PhD program is more suitable for a career in academia?

Both Statistics and Applied Mathematics can lead to successful careers in academia. The choice ultimately depends on your research interests and goals. It is important to consider the faculty and research opportunities available in each program, as well as your own strengths and interests, when making this decision.