Does the math GRE help at all for the GRE in engineering?

In summary: PFIn summary, the individual has been a member of the PF community for a while and is now considering graduate studies in engineering with a focus on signal processing/control theory. They have a strong background in both engineering and mathematics, and are wondering if it would be beneficial to take the math subject GRE for their application. While it may not directly impact their chances, it can demonstrate their proficiency and dedication to their studies. They are seeking advice and guidance on this decision.
Bipolarity
Been around for quite a while on PF, you guys never fail to deliver.

I've been thinking about graduate school in engineering (in the US). The field I will likely enter is in some type of signal processing/control theory. I am only a sophomore EE major, but am taking courses a math major would normally take (i.e. algebra/analysis/topology) in addition to my EE courses. Am also taking courses a CS major would normally take (i.e. databases/compilers etc.)

That said, I have looked at the math subject GRE and most of the questions look doable. However, I have no intention of pursuing graduate degree in mathematics. But since there is no engineering GRE, and since signal processing/control theory is heavy in mathematics, does it make any sense to take the math subject GRE? Will it have any impact on my chances of getting into graduate programs in EE? I don't think I will have much difficulty doing well on the math GRE given the amount of time I spend doing math, but I don't want to take the exam for no reason either.

Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
olarBear

Dear BiPolarBear,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns about your potential graduate studies in engineering. It's great to hear that you have been a part of the PF community for a while and have found our discussions helpful.

Based on your description, it seems like you have a strong background in both engineering and mathematics, which are both essential for signal processing and control theory. While there may not be a specific engineering GRE, many graduate programs in engineering do require or recommend the math subject GRE as part of the application process. This is because a strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for success in these fields.

Taking the math subject GRE may not directly impact your chances of getting into graduate programs in EE, but it can certainly strengthen your application and demonstrate your proficiency in the mathematical concepts that are integral to your desired field. It can also show your dedication and commitment to your studies.

Ultimately, the decision to take the math subject GRE is yours to make. If you feel confident in your abilities and have the time and resources to take the exam, it may be worth considering. Additionally, you can also reach out to the graduate programs you are interested in and inquire about their specific requirements and recommendations for the application process.

Best of luck in your future academic pursuits! Keep up the great work and dedication to your studies.A fellow scientist

1. Does taking the math GRE improve my chances of getting into an engineering program?

While the math GRE is not required for most engineering programs, it can still be beneficial to take and perform well on the exam. Engineering programs often require a strong foundation in math, and a high score on the math GRE can demonstrate your proficiency in this subject. Additionally, a good math GRE score can make your application stand out among other candidates.

2. How much weight does the math GRE carry in the admissions process for engineering programs?

The weight given to the math GRE score varies among different engineering programs. Some programs may place a higher emphasis on this score, while others may consider it as just one aspect of the overall application. It is best to research the specific programs you are interested in to determine how important the math GRE score is in their admissions process.

3. Can a low math GRE score negatively impact my chances of being accepted into an engineering program?

While a high math GRE score can enhance your application, a low score does not necessarily disqualify you from being accepted into an engineering program. Admissions committees typically consider a variety of factors, such as your undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement, in addition to the math GRE score. A low score may raise some concerns, but it is not the sole determinant of acceptance.

4. Is it necessary to take the math GRE if I have already taken the general GRE for engineering programs?

Some engineering programs may accept the general GRE in place of the math GRE. However, it is best to check with the specific programs you are applying to, as some may still require the math GRE. Additionally, if you have a strong background in math and feel confident in your abilities, it may be beneficial to take the math GRE to showcase your skills.

5. How can I prepare for the math GRE to improve my chances in the admissions process for engineering programs?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the math GRE, such as study guides, practice tests, and online courses. It is also helpful to review the specific math topics that will be covered on the exam, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. Additionally, practicing with timed tests can help improve your speed and accuracy. It is important to start studying early and set aside dedicated time for preparation to give yourself the best chance of success on the exam.