Double integral, find volume of solid

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid by subtracting two volumes, one enclosed by two parabolic cylinders and the other by two planes. By solving for z in the plane equations and subtracting them, the resulting equation is used in a double integral with appropriate boundaries to find the volume. After graphing the given equations, it is determined that the lower limit for x should be -1 instead of 0, leading to the correct answer of 53/2.
ooohffff

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid by subtracting two volumes, the solid enclosed by the parabolic cylinders:
y = 1 − x2,
y = x2 − 1
and the planes:
x + y + z = 2
4x + 5y − z + 20 = 0

Homework Equations

∫∫f(x,y) dA

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved for z in the plane equations:
z=2-x-y
z=4x+5y+20

I subtracted these two equations:
(4x+5y+20)-(2-x-y) = 5x+6y+18 = z

01x2-11-x2 5x+6y+18 dy dx

=53/2

It's the wrong answer, and I think my x boundaries might be between -1 and 1 after graphing it but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you graph ##y=1-x^2## and ##y=x^2-1## in the xy plane that should settle the ##x## limits for you. If you use ##x=-1## for the lower limit, does that fix it for you?

LCKurtz said:
If you graph ##y=1-x^2## and ##y=x^2-1## in the xy plane that should settle the ##x## limits for you. If you use ##x=-1## for the lower limit, does that fix it for you?
Yes, it's correct.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that is used to find the volume of a three-dimensional solid. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region.

2. How do you find the volume of a solid using a double integral?

To find the volume of a solid using a double integral, you first need to set up the integral by defining the limits of integration and the function to be integrated. Then, you can solve the integral using standard integration techniques.

3. What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space. A double integral, on the other hand, is used to find the volume of a solid in a three-dimensional space.

4. Can a double integral be used to find the volume of any solid?

Yes, a double integral can be used to find the volume of any solid that can be defined by a continuous function in a three-dimensional space.

5. What are some real-life applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-life applications, including calculating the volume of a 3D object, finding the center of mass of an object, and computing the amount of work done by a force in a 3D space.