Double major Physics and Petroleum Engineering

In summary: I understand but I have heard of people going to grad school for physics with engineering degrees. Not sure if remedial courses were necessary, but a minor should about cover all the basics as will the double major.
hokte78
I'm starting my Associates this summer in Physics and Mechanical Engineering. I have a BS and MS in accounting but science was always my first love so I'm starting all over again. I'm pursuing the double degree because I currently work as an accountant for an oil and gas company and the engineering degree will get me a better job while I continue on to the PhD in Physics. (I'll most likely be in my 40's before I could start the PhD) I've read several posts about choosing one major or the other for the undergrad. Would a straight physics degree get me into an engineering job? Or would I be able to go on to grad studies in physics with an engineering degree? I was told to just take extra physics classes while getting the engineering degree but if I'm able, why take the extra classes and not get the 2nd degree?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering courses are very demanding themselves, why would you want to add the extra stress of getting a physics degree? Upper level physics courses are just as demanding. Yes there are some physicist that work as engineers but I doubt it's straight out of school. In order to go to grad school for engineering on just a straight physics degree you'll have to take some remedial engineering courses

I'm not going to grad school for engineering. I'd be going for Physics. Why get a physics degree? Why not? I love the field but I have to pay bills and starting all over with a degree in Physics at the age of 3? with no work expience in physics and no job prospects isn't very appealing. I have an engineering job waiting for me with my current firm once I get the engineering degree. Then I can continue with the graduate degree in physics.

My point is a double major in physics and engineering will be tough especially while trying to work. I'd take the engineering degree and some extra physics courses as electives. I'm actually doing that myself, my major is nuclear engineering but when I'm done ill have a physics minor and a math minor

That's a good point and I thank you for the reply. If the course work gets to a point where it's too much I'll reassess then. I've been lucky enough to have (most) of my school paid so I want to get as much out of it as I can.

hokte78 said:
That's a good point and I thank you for the reply. If the course work gets to a point where it's too much I'll reassess then. I've been lucky enough to have (most) of my school paid so I want to get as much out of it as I can.

I understand but I have heard of people going to grad school for physics with engineering degrees. Not sure if remedial courses were necessary, but a minor should about cover all the basics as will the double major.

What is a double major in Physics and Petroleum Engineering?

A double major in Physics and Petroleum Engineering is a program of study that allows students to specialize in two different fields of study. In this case, the two fields are Physics, which deals with the fundamental laws and principles of nature, and Petroleum Engineering, which focuses on the exploration, extraction, and production of oil and gas.

What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in Physics and Petroleum Engineering?

There are several benefits to pursuing a double major in Physics and Petroleum Engineering. It allows students to develop a diverse set of skills and knowledge in two different areas, making them more versatile and attractive to potential employers. It also provides opportunities for interdisciplinary research and can lead to a wider range of career options.

Is it difficult to complete a double major in Physics and Petroleum Engineering?

Pursuing a double major in Physics and Petroleum Engineering can be challenging, as it requires a significant amount of coursework in both fields. However, with proper planning and time management, it is possible to successfully complete the program. It is important to consult with academic advisors and create a well-structured plan to ensure a smooth and manageable course load.

What are the career options for someone with a double major in Physics and Petroleum Engineering?

Graduates with a double major in Physics and Petroleum Engineering have a wide range of career options available to them. Some common career paths include working in the oil and gas industry as a petroleum engineer or geophysicist, conducting research in academic or government institutions, or pursuing a career in renewable energy development.

Can I pursue a double major in Physics and Petroleum Engineering at any university?

Not all universities offer a double major in Physics and Petroleum Engineering. It is important to research and find institutions that have strong programs in both fields and offer the option for a double major. Additionally, some universities may have specific requirements or prerequisites for students wishing to pursue this double major, so it is important to consult with academic advisors before making a decision.