How can I design a double mass-spring damper system in equilibrium?

• Thread starter eggwomen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damper
In summary, a double mass-spring damper is a mechanical system consisting of two masses connected by springs and dampers. It transfers energy between the masses through the springs and dampers, with the dampers reducing oscillations. The behavior of the system is affected by factors such as spring stiffness, damping coefficients, and initial conditions. It has various applications in engineering and physics, and can be mathematically represented using a set of differential equations known as the equations of motion.
eggwomen
Hi!
I have this project on my CAE classes in which I have to design a system like this,
DSC_0197.jpg

which would be in equilibrium, so i guess that the masses should move with the constant amplitude. I have no idea how to calculate the k parameter, I tried to do this analogically to mass-spring damper system, but nothing good came out of it. Can anyone help? Would really aprreciate :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://people.clarkson.edu/~estradjm/FinalProjectDNS.pdf should help you. Look for "half car model" or "quarter car model" for more examples.

What is a double mass-spring damper?

A double mass-spring damper is a mechanical system that consists of two masses connected by springs and dampers. It is often used to model the behavior of systems such as car suspensions, earthquake-resistant buildings, and vibration control systems.

How does a double mass-spring damper work?

The system works by transferring energy between the two masses through the springs and dampers. When one mass moves, it exerts a force on the other mass through the springs, causing it to move as well. The dampers help to dissipate energy and reduce the amplitude of the oscillations.

What factors affect the behavior of a double mass-spring damper?

The behavior of the system is affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the springs, the damping coefficients of the dampers, and the masses of the two objects. The initial conditions, such as the initial displacements and velocities, also play a role in determining the behavior of the system.

What are the applications of a double mass-spring damper?

Double mass-spring dampers are commonly used in engineering and physics to model and analyze the behavior of various systems. They are also used in the design of shock absorbers, suspension systems, and vibration isolation systems.

How is a double mass-spring damper mathematically represented?

The system can be mathematically represented using a set of differential equations known as the equations of motion. These equations describe the relationships between the forces, displacements, velocities, and accelerations of the masses in the system.