Drawing (not too simple) Cosine waves on the x and y axis.

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing cosine waves in relation to pattern formation for mathematical biology. The examples given include plotting cosines on the x-axis and y-axis with specific parameters and limits. The conversation also mentions using Wolfram Alpha for reference and suggests methods such as shrinking the domain and counting derivatives to better understand and draw cosine waves.
harmonie_Best
I have to draw cosine waves in relation to pattern formation for mathematical biology, for example, I have to plot things similar to these on the x-axis;

cos( 2*pi*x / √5 ) from x= 0 to √5
cos( 3*pi*x / 2 √5 ) from x= 0 to 2√5
cos( 3*pi*x / 2 √(5/6) ) from x=0 to 2√5

And with the y-axis;

cos( pi*y / √2 ) from y= 0 to √2
cos( pi*y / √6 ) from y= 0 to √6

I just can't get the jist of it. I can see what they look like on wolfram alpha, but I won't have access to it in say an exam situation and just can't seem to grasp it when trying to do them.
Are there any convenient ways of being able to quickly and sufficiently learn to do similar cos waves?

Need to know any more info to answer the question just ask =)

Thanks in advance,
J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you shrink the domain of study to draw part of the wave and then finish it off because the cosine function is an even function. ( f(x)=f(-x) ). You can also count the derivative and see where it equals zero; that means the tangent line is horizontal or parallel to the x-axis and you will get a convex or concave curve. In addition to that you can also count the derivative of other points to get their slope so it can make it easier for you to draw the diagram.

Related to Drawing (not too simple) Cosine waves on the x and y axis.

1. What is a cosine wave?

A cosine wave is a type of mathematical function that describes the shape of a periodic oscillation, or wave. It is a smooth, repetitive curve that can be graphed on a coordinate plane.

2. How do you draw a cosine wave on the x and y axis?

To draw a cosine wave on the x and y axis, first plot a set of points on the coordinate plane using the formula y = cos(x). Then, connect the points with a smooth curve to create the wave.

3. What is the period of a cosine wave?

The period of a cosine wave is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the graph. It is equal to 2π divided by the frequency of the wave.

4. How do you adjust the amplitude of a cosine wave?

The amplitude of a cosine wave can be adjusted by multiplying the function by a constant. For example, multiplying y = cos(x) by 2 will double the amplitude, while multiplying by 0.5 will halve the amplitude.

5. What is the relationship between cosine waves and sound waves?

Cosine waves are often used to represent sound waves because sound waves are also periodic oscillations. The frequency and amplitude of a cosine wave can correspond to the pitch and volume of a sound wave, respectively.