Dual Master Degrees - Worth it?

In summary, the speaker is considering getting a second masters degree in systems engineering in addition to their current masters in electrical engineering and graduate certificate in systems engineering. They estimate that it would only require four more classes, with an average of 2 hours and 40 minutes of class time per week. The cost for the additional four classes would be around $5,100, which the speaker is unsure if they can justify. They mention that their bachelors degree in electrical engineering was barely worth it and cost them $20,000, but it did help them qualify for a new job with a higher salary.
YoshiMoshi
Does anyone here have a masters degree in engineering, and then a second one in systems engineering ?

I'm considering it because I can get help with the costs. I do systems engineering on electrical systems. So I see some possible advantages to getting both. I already have a masters in engineering in electrical engineering and currently working on a graduate certificate in systems engineering. If I were to upgrade the certificate to a full blown masters, it would only be four more classes.

Thanks for all the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
YoshiMoshi said:
it would only be four more classes.
How many hours of "class time" is a "class".

It ranges, but normally about 2 hours 40 minutes a week of actual class, then homework. How much homework you get is dependent on the class.

YoshiMoshi said:
2 hours 40 minutes a week
How many weeks? In some places a class is full year, other places 3 months.

I'm in the USA, do a class is one semester long about 15 weeks if I recall. Even with my company help, the extra four classes would cost me about $5,100 of my own money (total after taking the extra four classes) I wouldn't directly get paid back for from tuition assistance program at my company.

I only have my bachelors degree in electrical engineering... I can barely (forcefully) justify a masters degree just because I want one.

Yea a Masters degree, at least for me, in electrical engineering, was barley worth it to me. Cost me $20k of my own money. I had to just get the money back on my investment, and applied to another job, and the fact that I had the degree defiantly helped and qualified me for the job, and gave me a bit of a pay bump.

1. What are the benefits of obtaining dual master degrees?

Obtaining dual master degrees can provide numerous benefits, including a broader knowledge base in two different fields, increased job opportunities, and higher earning potential. It can also demonstrate a high level of dedication and determination to potential employers.

2. How long does it typically take to complete dual master degrees?

The time it takes to complete dual master degrees varies depending on the specific programs and the student's course load. On average, it can take anywhere from 2-4 years to complete both degrees.

3. Are there any drawbacks to pursuing dual master degrees?

One potential drawback of pursuing dual master degrees is the increased workload and time commitment. It can also be more expensive than obtaining a single master's degree, as students may have to pay for two sets of tuition and fees.

4. Can I choose any combination of master's degrees for a dual degree program?

While some universities may offer flexibility in choosing which master's degrees to combine, others may have specific programs or fields that are eligible for a dual degree. It's essential to research and confirm the options available at the university you are interested in attending.

5. How can dual master degrees enhance my career prospects?

Dual master degrees can enhance career prospects by providing a unique and diverse skill set that is highly sought after by employers. It can also open up opportunities for students to work in interdisciplinary fields and take on leadership roles in their careers.