Dynamics of a point mass in circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a point of mass moving on a circular plane and the force acting on it. The equations and attempts at solving the problem are also mentioned. The potential of the force being conservative is suggested as a possible approach to solving the problem.
Krzysiek Sam

Homework Statement

Dear All,

I'm having a hard time solving the following problem:
upload_2017-8-19_16-42-8.png

A point of mass is moving on a circular plane (Oxy), where the circle's formula is:
upload_2017-8-19_16-42-28.png

The force acting on mass "m" is defined as:
upload_2017-8-19_16-43-7.png

We're looking for velocity of point "m" in position (1,1) =V1, and in position (0,2)=V2, given the velocity in position (0,0)=V0.

Homework Equations

(as above)

The Attempt at a Solution

m*x''=-k*x*y2
m*y''=-k*y*x2

x = r*cos(φ)
y=1+r*sin(φ)

φ = ω*t
x'= -r*ω*sin(ωt)
x''= -r*ω2*cos(ωt)

y'= r*ω*cos(ωt)
y''= -r*ω2*sin(ωt)

This leads me to a second order differential equation which I'm not able to solve.

----------------
Thank you in advance for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!
Krzysiek Sam said:
φ = ω*t
Why would ##\phi## increase proportionally to time?

Another approach: Are you familiar with the concept of a "conservative force" and the potential energy associated with a conservative force?

EDIT: I'm not completely clear on the setup of the problem. Is the particle confined to move on the circle? Can we think of it as a bead sliding on a circular wire with no friction, but with an applied force as given?

Last edited:
Likes Krzysiek Sam
TSny said:
Hello, and welcome to PF!
Why would ##\phi## increase proportionally to time?

Another approach: Are you familiar with the concept of a "conservative force" and the potential energy associated with a conservative force?

EDIT: I'm not completely clear on the setup of the problem. Is the particle confined to move on the circle? Can we think of it as a bead sliding on a circular wire with no friction, but with an applied force as given?
Hello,
1. phi increases, as m moves around the circle, phi[rad] = omega[rad/s]*t

2. how would you approach this with respect to conservative force?

3. yes, it's confined to move on the edge of the circle with radius r=1, yes the problem considers no friction, only forces Fx and Fy.

Thanks in advance for your help.
KS

Krzysiek Sam said:
1. phi increases, as m moves around the circle, phi[rad] = omega[rad/s]*t
Yes, ##\phi## increases as the mass moves around the circle. But, ##\phi## doesn't necessarily increase at a constant rate. So, you cannot assume ##\phi = \omega t## for some constant ##\omega##.

2. how would you approach this with respect to conservative force?
First, I would check to see if the given force is conservative. Have you learned how to do that?

Likes Krzysiek Sam
TSny said:
Yes, ##\phi## increases as the mass moves around the circle. But, ##\phi## doesn't necessarily increase at a constant rate. So, you cannot assume ##\phi = \omega t## for some constant ##\omega##.

First, I would check to see if the given force is conservative. Have you learned how to do that?

Yes, this is the right approach, thank you for your suggestion!
Have a nice day!

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. The object's velocity is constantly changing, but its speed remains constant.

What is the equation for centripetal acceleration?

The equation for centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and circular motion?

In circular motion, there must be a centripetal force acting on the object to keep it moving along its circular path. This force is directed towards the center of the circle and is equal to the centripetal acceleration multiplied by the mass of the object.

How does the mass of an object affect its circular motion?

The mass of an object does not affect its circular motion. As long as the object is moving at a constant speed along its circular path, the mass will not change the motion. However, a larger mass will require a larger centripetal force to maintain the same speed in circular motion.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while its velocity is constantly changing due to the change in direction. In non-uniform circular motion, both the speed and velocity of the object are changing, either due to a change in speed or direction.