Electrical Engineering Beginner's Resources

In summary, if you are new to electronics and want to learn the basics, I would recommend starting with a level that you are comfortable with and then expanding your knowledge as you go. For example, if you are a physics major, you may be comfortable with calculus, so you would start there. However, if you are not familiar with calculus, you may want to start with a more introductory level book.
Emmo Amaranth
As the title suggests, I'm hoping some of you have some favorite resources for a self-studying novice. I'm sure there are a LOT of places online (and in print) to learn, but if anyone can help point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative. Cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you give us some idea about your background so we can figure out what level is good for you? What level of math are you familiar with? What about physics or electronics? Do you know V = I⋅R, P = V⋅I, etc.?
Basically, there is electronics without calculus and electronics after you know some calculus. Honestly, the best way to learn about electronics is to know calculus first, so study that if you haven't. However, there is still a lot of electrician level stuff (i.e. no calculus) to learn too.

Likes Emmo Amaranth
Sure thing:

I just graduated with a B.S. in Physics with a minor in Mathematics. I'm comfortable/familiar with calculus and other selected mathematical methods, as well as undergraduate level physics (including a 400 level year long course on E&M). I do know Ohm's Law and the power relation, but my weak point is the practical application of electronics: I'm familiar with many basic components, but topics such as circuit design are still quite new to me.

It is a very broad topic, what in particular are you interested in or why?

General interest and practicality. I want to get into quantum information/computing in the future, but I need to broaden my skill set. As such, I'm striving to learn as much about conventional computers (hardware and software) as possible, so I'm starting from basics.

Quantum computing has little in common with conventional computers.

If quantum computing is really your goal, then you must study quantum mechanics.

Frankly, any sort of conventional (digital) computing has little to do with classical electronics and circuit design. It is almost entirely about system engineering and/or programming now days. There is still a lot of analog circuit design in the interface between computing and the real world, power supplies, high speed communication, radios, etc. But digital circuit design is mostly done by buying an IC and programming it with VHDL, C, etc. People don't do Karnaugh maps anymore, they leave that up to a compiler.

anorlunda said:
If quantum computing is really your goal, then you must study quantum mechanics.

Appreciated, and I'm aware. QM will be my main focus, but I already have a solid foundation upon which to grow thanks to the excellent instruction I received as an undergrad.

DaveE said:
It is almost entirely about system engineering and/or programming now days.

Also appreciated, and I likewise will be spending a good chunk of time learning programming. I'm not looking to become an expert in analog electronics (or conventional computing, for that matter), but I do need at least a basic knowledge of fundamental principles. In addition, as I stated before, I simply have a general interest in the subject.

Likes berkeman

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, testing, and maintaining electrical systems, devices, and components.

2. What are some beginner resources for learning electrical engineering?

Some beginner resources for learning electrical engineering include textbooks, online courses, tutorials, and hands-on projects. There are also many educational websites, forums, and communities that offer resources and support for beginners.

3. What skills are required for a career in electrical engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in electrical engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, and the ability to work with complex mathematical and technical concepts. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other engineers and professionals.

4. What are some common applications of electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering has a wide range of applications, including power generation and distribution, telecommunications, electronics, computer hardware and software, control systems, and renewable energy. It also plays a crucial role in developing new technologies and improving existing ones in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, healthcare, and manufacturing.

5. What are the future prospects for electrical engineering?

The demand for electrical engineers is expected to grow in the future due to the increasing use of technology in various industries. With the rise of renewable energy and the development of new technologies, there will be a need for skilled electrical engineers to design and maintain these systems. Additionally, the growing demand for smart devices and the Internet of Things (IoT) will also create job opportunities for electrical engineers.