Electromagnet investigation lab assignment

In summary, an alpha particle with a charge of 3.2 x 10^-19 Coulombs and a velocity of 2.0m/s East enters a uniform vertical magnetic field of 1.0 T. The force exerted on the particle by the field can be found using the equation F=QvB. The acceleration of the particle can be found using the equation a=v^2/r, where the magnetic force acts as the centripetal force. The radius of curvature of the path of the particle can also be found using this equation, or cupid's idea can also be used.
helpme2011

Homework Statement

An alpha particle enters a uniform verical magnetic field of 1.0 T with a velocity of 2.0m/s East.
a) Find the force exerted on the particle by the field.
b) Find the acceleration of the particle.
c) Find the radius of curvature of the path of the particle.

Homework Equations

F= QvB ?

The Attempt at a Solution

B= 1.0 T
v= 2.0m/s
How do I solve it without given Q?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about an alpha particle ?

Oh..I just googled it :S but does it have a charge of 3.2 x 10^-19 Coulombs? so would that just be my Q and plug that into the equation of F= QvB?

Yes, an alpha particle is composed of two protons and two neutrons. The charge of a proton is 1.6*10-19 Coulombs .

Force is a vector quantity, so presumably it should also have a direction associated with it.

Ok. Thanks! :)
and to find the radius, do i use the equation: a= v^2/r ?

To find radius ... the magnetic force will act as centripetal force (mv2/r)...

helpme2011 said:
Ok. Thanks! :)
and to find the radius, do i use the equation: a= v^2/r ?
Yes. That should work. Also, cupid's idea is equally good.

SammyS said:
Also, cupid's idea is equally good.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. The current produces a magnetic field that can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using the properties of electricity and magnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. By wrapping the wire into a coil and increasing the number of turns, the magnetic field becomes stronger. This creates a temporary magnet that can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity.

3. What are some real-world applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have many practical uses in our daily lives. They are used in electric motors, generators, speakers, doorbells, and many other devices. They are also used in industrial applications, such as cranes, magnetic levitation trains, and MRI machines in the medical field.

4. How can I investigate the strength of an electromagnet?

To investigate the strength of an electromagnet, you can use a variety of materials, such as nails, paperclips, or magnetic balls, and see how many of them the electromagnet can pick up. You can also vary the number of turns in the coil or the amount of current flowing through the wire to see how it affects the strength of the electromagnet.

5. What safety precautions should I take when conducting an electromagnet investigation?

When conducting an electromagnet investigation, it is important to follow basic safety precautions. Make sure to use insulated wires and keep the current at a safe level to avoid electric shocks. Also, be careful when handling strong magnets, as they can pinch the skin and cause injuries. Lastly, always have adult supervision when working with electricity.