Electromagnetic wave problem

In summary, the given equation represents an electromagnetic wave with an electric field E at a peak value of Eo. The wave is propagating in the ̂ (N/C) direction and has a wavelength and frequency that can be determined using the given equation. The magnetic field ⃑⃑⃗(⃗,) and Poynting vector ⃑⃗(⃗,) can also be calculated using the electromagnetic field equations. The maximum and minimum values of E can be determined by solving for y and t, and the direction of propagation can be visualized by analyzing the given equation.
JesseJC

Homework Statement

⃑E = Eo cos(4.0y−1.2 × 109 t) ̂ (N/C)
where y is in meters and t is in seconds. The intensity of the wave is 200 mW/cm2 .

(a) In what direction is the wave propagating? (b) What are the wavelength and frequency of the wave? (c) What is the peak value of the electric field, 0, of the wave? (d) Find the magnetic field, ⃑⃑⃗(⃗,), of the wave. (e) Find an expression for the Poynting vector ⃑⃗(⃗,)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do not know where to begin with this one, I cannot find any useful help related to anything similar to this question online, not even in my professors lectures. If anyone can just help me begin here I would appreciate it greatly. I understand the E-field is going in the x direction, but how can I visualize that? I also understand that the propagation is ExB.

Physics news on Phys.org
JesseJC said:
E = Eo cos(4.0y−1.2 × 109 t) ̂ (N/C)
where y is in meters and t is in seconds. The intensity of the wave is 200 mW/cm2 .

try writing expression of electric field as solution to electromagnetic field equations and try interpreting your given equation above'
ask when E is maximum ?
when its at minima?
what is the wavelength,frequency...

JesseJC said:
I understand the E-field is going in the x direction
Why do you say that? I don't see any x in your equation. Or have you left something out? I'm wondering about that ^ near the end, just before the units.

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of wave that is created by the vibrations of electric and magnetic fields. These waves travel through space at the speed of light and can vary in frequency and wavelength.

2. How are electromagnetic waves produced?

Electromagnetic waves are produced when an electrically charged particle, such as an electron, is accelerated. This acceleration creates an oscillating electric and magnetic field, which then propagates as an electromagnetic wave.

3. What are the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have several properties, including frequency, wavelength, amplitude, and polarization. They also do not require a medium to travel through, and they can be reflected, refracted, and diffracted.

4. How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of applications in everyday life. They are used in communication technologies such as radio, TV, and cell phones, as well as in medical imaging, radar, and microwave ovens.

5. What are some potential problems associated with electromagnetic waves?

Exposure to high levels of electromagnetic waves, such as those emitted by cell phones and power lines, has been linked to potential health risks. Additionally, interference from electromagnetic waves can disrupt electronic devices and cause communication issues.