Electron in a Coulomb Field

In summary: Actually I think the simplest way to see that the integral is nonzero is noting that the ##x## operator is a differential operator, so you can write it as$$x = r\cos \theta$$meaning that$$\langle 100|x|211\rangle = \langle 100|r\cos \theta|211\rangle = \langle 100|r\cos \theta \sin \theta|211\rangle = \langle 100|\sin \theta \frac{d}{d\theta}|211\rangle$$and now you can easily see that the integral is nonzero because of the orthogonality of the spherical harmonics.
MxwllsPersuasns

Homework Statement

An electron in the Coulomb Field of the proton is in the state:

|ψ> = (4/5)|1, 0, 0> + (3i/5)|2, 1, 1> with |n, l, m> as the quantum numbers defining the state

a) What is <E> for this state? What are <L2> and <Lz>?

b) What is |ψ(t)>? Which expectation values from a) vary with time?

c) Show that the expectation value <x> will be time dependent provided the matrix element <ψ100|xˆ|ψ211 ≠ 0.

d)Show that this matrix element is indeed nonzero. You don’t need to calculate a value for the matrix element, although you can if you want.

Homework Equations

Basically laid out in the problem statement

The Attempt at a Solution

So I completed part a) and part b) except I haven't shown whether or not the Energy commutes with the hamiltonian. The reason I haven't is I haven't been able to find the representation of the energy (in order to commute it with the hamiltonian) anywhere. Part of me thinks that the energy operator has the Hamiltonian as the generator of time translations (right?) and as such since the energy operator involves the Hamiltonian when it is commutated with the actual Hamiltonian operator it would be, in effect, like commuting the Hamiltonian with itself, which obviously commutes. Can anyone comment on this line of thinking and let me know where I went astray or if it is indeed logical thinking? Also if anyone could provide the representation of the Energy operator I would be very thankful.

Moving on I need help with parts c) and d). Part c) asks to show <x> is time dependent (which means it doesn't commute with H) given that a particular matrix element is nonzero.. I imagine that when you commute H with x these matrix elements (<100|x|100>, <211|x|100>, <100|x|211> and <211|x|211>) play a role in the calculation and I'm assuming since we're tasked to show one particular element is nonzero than that means the other three are zero and this one term is what keeps x from commuting with H (and thus making it time dependent) can anyone comment on this as well and maybe give me some advice moving forward? I would truly appreciate it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
About your first question, the energy is the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian. So by definition the energy is going to be given by the Hamiltonian, which obviously commutes with itself. That makes all too much sense: the energy is a conserved quantity. If it was time dependent in a closed system we'd have a huge problem on our hands.

About part c. The expression for the time dependence of an expectation value for a time independent operator is

$$\frac{d}{dt}\langle \psi |x| \psi \rangle = \frac{i}{\hbar}\langle \psi |[H,x]| \psi \rangle $$

which comes about quite naturally when you apply the composite derivative formula to the bra/ket wavefunctions and keep in mind the time dependent Schroedinger equation. Since in your case ##\psi## is expressed as a sum of eigenstates you can always bring the Hamiltonian out of the brakets and replace it with the energy (remember that ##\langle211|H = \langle211|E_{211}## for example), so you're going indeed to have those four terms you mentioned. The two homogeneous terms (with the same state on both sides) cancel each other because they appear twice with opposite signs (due to the commutator). The mixed terms instead do something like

$$E_{211}\langle211|x|100\rangle-E_{100}\langle211|x|100\rangle$$

hence don't commute and cause the time derivative to be non-zero. Which makes sense: in the end pure states are time-independent (except for their phase factor, which has no bearing on expectation values anyway), and whenever you have a mix of two states you observe oscillations with frequency ##\frac{\Delta E}{\hbar}##.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your incredibly lucid and clear explanation of the problem Gan HOPE326, I really appreciate the insight! If you might help me with the next part I'm a little stuck on that as well. Basically it's Asking to show that <100|x|211> is nonzero (though we aren't required to calculate its value) however no information (other than the probability amplitudes associated with each wavefunction) about the two wavefunctions are given so I'm not sure what to do exactly.

The only inclination I would have is perhaps taking the x(op) out of the inner product then having something like x<100|211> and then perhaps showing that the wavefunctions |100> and |211> are NOT orthogonal.

Any ideas? Like I said I'm a bit unsure about how to approach this as there aren't value associated to these wavefunctions and so I'm not quite sure how I can prove that the inner product of <100| and |211> is not equal to zero with the information given.

MxwllsPersuasns said:
Thanks so much for your incredibly lucid and clear explanation of the problem Gan HOPE326, I really appreciate the insight! If you might help me with the next part I'm a little stuck on that as well. Basically it's Asking to show that <100|x|211> is nonzero (though we aren't required to calculate its value) however no information (other than the probability amplitudes associated with each wavefunction) about the two wavefunctions are given so I'm not sure what to do exactly.

The only inclination I would have is perhaps taking the x(op) out of the inner product then having something like x<100|211> and then perhaps showing that the wavefunctions |100> and |211> are NOT orthogonal.

Any ideas? Like I said I'm a bit unsure about how to approach this as there aren't value associated to these wavefunctions and so I'm not quite sure how I can prove that the inner product of <100| and |211> is not equal to zero with the information given.

Well, we're talking hydrogenoid wavefunctions, so their form is well known. Basically it's an exponentially decaying radially multiplied by a spherical harmonic defined by the L,M quantum numbers. So you can certainly try and compute the integral by hand. A simpler way to obtain the result would just be to write down the integral and demonstrate the parity of the argument. Since x is an odd function, integrating over infinity the product ##\langle211|100\rangle## needs to be odd as well for the integral to be non-zero. I think that should be easily the case because |100> is the s orbital (even) and |211> is the p-orbital with m=1, which for what I remember should lie in the XY-plane, and therefore is likely to be odd in the X axis. I don't remember the exact form right now but you can check them anywhere and work out the result by yourself.

Wow, again, a clear explanation of the problem which addresses my faults perfectly! I shall follow your advice and I'm certain I'll be able to get everything to work out. Thanks again Gan HOPE326, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. You should be a physics instructor if you aren't already :wink:.

MxwllsPersuasns said:
Wow, again, a clear explanation of the problem which addresses my faults perfectly! I shall follow your advice and I'm certain I'll be able to get everything to work out. Thanks again Gan HOPE326, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. You should be a physics instructor if you aren't already :wink:.

Ahahaha, thanks :biggrin:. I've had an experience giving tutorial lessons in a course of structure of matter but that was it.

1. What is an electron in a Coulomb field?

An electron in a Coulomb field refers to the behavior of an electron when it is subjected to the electric force exerted by a positively charged particle, also known as a Coulomb force. The interaction between the electron and the charged particle is described by Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the Coulomb force affect the motion of an electron?

The Coulomb force causes the electron to accelerate towards the charged particle. The direction of the force is always towards the positively charged particle, and the magnitude of the force is determined by the strength of the charges and the distance between them. As the electron moves closer to the charged particle, the force increases, causing the electron to accelerate. As the distance between the two particles increases, the force decreases, causing the electron to slow down.

3. What is the relationship between the strength of the Coulomb force and the distance between the particles?

The strength of the Coulomb force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the particles. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the inverse square law and is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism.

4. How is the Coulomb force related to the concept of electric potential energy?

The Coulomb force is directly related to the concept of electric potential energy. Electric potential energy is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. The Coulomb force is responsible for changing the electric potential energy of an electron by doing work on it as it moves through the Coulomb field.

5. Can the Coulomb force be shielded or canceled out?

Yes, the Coulomb force can be shielded or canceled out by introducing an opposite charge or a neutralizing material between the two particles. This is why we do not feel the Coulomb force between ourselves and other objects, as our bodies are conductors that can shield the electric field. Additionally, the Coulomb force can be canceled out if the charges are equal in magnitude and opposite in sign, resulting in a net force of zero.