Electrostatic Problem at point on a conical surface

In summary, the conversation discusses a solved problem involving finding electrostatic potential at a conical surface with a given surface charge. The confusion arises when trying to understand the expression for ##\bar{r}##, which is found using the law of cosines. The triangle formed by ##h##, ##r##, and ##\bar{r}## is not a right triangle, but the law of cosines can still be applied to find the expression. The provided resources and explanations help clarify the concept.
roam

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand a solved problem which is about finding electrostatic potential at point b of the following conical surface with a given surface charge:

cone.jpg

I have attached the worked solutions to this post. In the solutions, I don't understand how they have got the expression:

##\bar{r}=\sqrt{h^2+r^2-\sqrt{2}hr}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I appreciate it if anyone could explain how this expression was obtained.

Looking at the expression it looks like Pythagoras was used here with ##\bar{r}## being the hypotenuse. But when the vertical side is ##h##, how do we get ##r^2-\sqrt{2}hr## as the other side? I'm very confused here.

Any helps is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• solns.jpg
    solns.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
The triangle formed by ##h##, ##r##, and ##\bar{r}## is not a right triangle. Can you see how the law of cosines can be used to get the expression for ##\bar{r}##?

Last edited:
TSny said:
The triangle formed by ##h##, ##r##, and ##\bar{r}## is not a right triangle. Can you see how the law of cosines can be used to get the expression for ##\bar{r}##?

No, how can I use the law of cosines when the triangle is not a right angle? Should I be considering a different triangle? I really have no idea how the expression for ##\bar{r}## was obtained. :confused:

triang1.jpg
express r in ##\mathcal r##

Likes roam
roam said:
No, how can I use the law of cosines when the triangle is not a right angle? Should I be considering a different triangle? I really have no idea how the expression for ##\bar{r}## was obtained. :confused:

The law of cosines applies to all triangles, not just right triangles.

See http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/trig-cosine-law.html

Likes roam
Thank you so much BvU for the diagram. It makes perfect sense now.

Thank you Tsny, I really appreciate the link.

1. What is an electrostatic problem at a point on a conical surface?

An electrostatic problem at a point on a conical surface refers to a situation where there is a charge at a specific point on a conical surface and the resulting electric field and potential at that point need to be determined.

2. What factors affect the electrostatic problem at a point on a conical surface?

The factors that affect the electrostatic problem at a point on a conical surface include the magnitude and distribution of charge on the surface, the shape and size of the conical surface, and the distance from the point to the charge on the surface.

3. How can the electric field at a point on a conical surface be determined?

The electric field at a point on a conical surface can be determined by using the formula for electric field, which takes into account the distance from the point to the charge on the surface, the angle of the conical surface, and the magnitude and distribution of charge on the surface.

4. How does the electric potential at a point on a conical surface change with distance?

The electric potential at a point on a conical surface decreases with increasing distance from the charge on the surface. This decrease follows an inverse square law, meaning that as the distance doubles, the electric potential decreases by a factor of four.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatic problems at points on conical surfaces?

Some real-world applications of electrostatic problems at points on conical surfaces include the design of lightning rods, the optimization of electric field strength in particle accelerators, and the calculation of electric potential in high voltage transmission lines.