Element in a ring mapping one prime to the next

In summary: This is why the family is called a "family": for every q we have a different g_q.In summary, the problem asks to show that there exists a unique element f in the ring R, which is the ring of all maps from the positive rationals to themselves, such that f(p_n) = p_n+1 for every prime number p_n and to determine the family I_f of left inverses of f. The solution involves defining f on all of Q using prime factorization, showing that f satisfies the ring properties, and then determining the left inverses of f, which are uniquely determined by how they act on the primes. The family I_f is then defined as all the left inverses of f.
tomelwood

Homework Statement

Let {p_n}n>0 be the ordered sequence of primes. Show that there exists a unique element f in the ring R such that f(p_n) = p_n+1 for every n>0 and determine the family I_f of left inverses of f.

Homework Equations

The ring R is defined to be: The ring of all maps f:Q+-->Q+ such that f(rs)=f(r)f(s) for every r,s in Q+. Define the operations + and x in such a way that (f+g)(r) = f(r)g(r) and (f x g)(r) = f(g(r)) for every r in Q+. This is a non commutative unitary ring with zero divisors.

The Attempt at a Solution

Any pointers would be appreciated, as I cannot see how it is possible to map one prime to the next, given any prime, let alone find the unique f in the ring R that will do it.
Sorry that I haven't provided more, but I have literally been banging my head against a wall for ages on this question, without the faintest idea of where to start!

Physics news on Phys.org
First we define this map on the primes. So we define [tex]f(p_n)=p_{n+1} [/tex].

We wish to extend this map to the entire of Q. Take q in Q. Then the prime factorization yields that we can write q as

[tex] q=\prod_{I\subseteq \mathbb{N}}{p_i^{n_i}} [/tex]

For a certain finite set I and [tex]n_i\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

The only possibility to define f(q) is as

[tex] f(q)=\prod_{I\subseteq \mathbb{N}}{f(p_i)^{n_i}}=\prod_{I\subseteq \mathbb{N}}{p_{i+1}^{n_i}} [/tex]

Try to show for yourself that f, with this definition, satisfies f(ab)=f(a)f(b).

Thanks so much, this has been most helpful!

So I got f(qr) = ...= PROD (p_i+1)^ni PROD (s_i+`)^ni = f(q)f(r) which is all I need to prove, right?

So now I need to determine the family of left inverses, which I believe is defined to be I_f = {g in R : gf = 1_r}
So the elements in R are these functions f,g etc. So I need to find the set of these g's which 'cancel out' the f's.
So if I do g(q)f(q) = PROD (g(p_i)^ni) PROD (p_i+1^ni) = 1_R
So I need to find this g. How do I do that.
I was tempted to say whilst writing this that g(q)f(q) = by definition of addition in this R = (g+f)(q) but I don't know if that would have helped at all? Thanks.

Yes, you've proven correctly that such an f exist. But you still need to determine for f what f(0) and f(1) is. I forgot to mention it.

For the other question, let g be a left inverse of f. g is uniquely determined by how it acts on the primes. So we simply need to know what [tex]g(p_i)[/tex] is.

Since g is a left inverse, we must have that [tex] g(p_{i+1})=p_i [/tex]. This defines g on every prime number except 2. For 2, we may choose what g(2) is.

OK. Well surely f(0) is 0 as 0=PROD 0 so f(0) = PROD 0 = 0
and 1 = PROD 1 so f(1) = PROD 1 = 1 ? That seems a little too simple to be true though.

So the set of all these g's is I_f = {g in R : g(p_i+1) = p_i, g(2) = 1} ?

No, you don't need to map 2 to 1. g(2) can be anything. We can only say that I_f = {g in R : g(p_i+1) = p_i}

For every [tex]q\in \mathbb{Q}^+ [/tex], we can find a g in I_f: the g that maps 2 to q.

Related to Element in a ring mapping one prime to the next

1. What is an element in a ring?

An element in a ring is a mathematical concept that refers to a set of objects that have two operations, usually addition and multiplication, defined on them. These operations follow specific rules and allow for the manipulation of the elements within the set.

2. How does an element in a ring map one prime to the next?

In a ring, each element has a unique property called a "prime," which is defined as the smallest positive integer that can be multiplied with the element to produce 1. When an element is multiplied by its prime, it maps to the next element in the ring, following a specific pattern based on the ring's operations.

3. What is the significance of mapping one prime to the next in a ring?

Mapping one prime to the next in a ring is significant because it allows for the identification of patterns and relationships between elements. This can be useful in solving equations and understanding the structure of the ring.

4. How does mapping one prime to the next affect the properties of a ring?

The mapping of one prime to the next affects the properties of a ring by determining the behavior of its elements. This can include properties such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity, which are essential to understanding the operations within a ring.

5. Are there any exceptions to the mapping of one prime to the next in a ring?

Yes, there can be exceptions to the mapping of one prime to the next in a ring. These exceptions can occur in non-commutative rings, where the order of multiplication matters, or in rings with zero divisors, where the product of two nonzero elements can equal zero. These exceptions can alter the pattern of prime mapping in a ring.