Engine oil flow/pressure restriction

• Automotive
  • Thread starter katman1260
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine Oil
In summary, the poster is seeking help with installing a turbo system on a motorcycle with low oil pressure. They have developed a restrictor that has boosted the pressure by 500%, but they have a question about the main oil feed diameter and its effect on the pressure and flow for outlet feed lines in a closed system. They have provided a drawing and asked for a schematic to better understand the system.
katman1260
Hello everyone, My first post was deleted by admin. Anyways, the question is back for those who have not read it.

I am installing a turbo system onto a motorcycle with an oil pressure range far too low for the turbo. I have develloped a restricter that has boosted the pressures to where they need to be but I have a question.

I have a main oil feed restrictor diameter of 5.5mm. It is feeding a 4.25mm turbo oil line as well as two other 4mm feeds. This restrictor has boosted oil pressure 500%. The 5.5mm inlet is fed from the oil pump, the 4mm outlets feed the engine, 4.25mm the turbo.

My question is, does the main 5.5mm feed diameter effect pressure/flow for outlet feed lines in a closed system? or does it just have to be larger than the other feed diameters?
see pic. Forgive the caveman drawing!

http://www.suzuki-katana.com/forums/oil500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
160 views and no comments? I guess this is too easy for this board and you'all are board with the question. I'll wait, someone will take pitty on me.

Your post is too vague. A schematic would be most helpful. We don't need drawings of the physical part but something that shows where the flow goes and where the restrictions are would be helpful. I can't tell from your post exactly where the restrictors are in the system. Also, how is the system prior to modification?

The 280zx turbo lives with about 15psi at idle for hundreds of thousands of miles.

I'm not sure how a restrictor can boost pressure can you post a schematic of what you have.

Related to Engine oil flow/pressure restriction

What is engine oil flow/pressure restriction?

Engine oil flow/pressure restriction refers to the limitation of oil flow and pressure within an engine's lubrication system. This can be caused by various factors such as clogged filters, worn out oil pumps, or damaged oil passages.

What are the consequences of engine oil flow/pressure restriction?

Restricted oil flow and pressure can lead to inadequate lubrication of engine components, which can result in increased friction, heat, and wear. This can ultimately lead to engine damage and failure if not addressed.

How can I tell if my engine has oil flow/pressure restriction?

Some common signs of oil flow/pressure restriction include low oil pressure warning lights, engine knocking noises, and decreased engine performance. It is important to regularly check your engine's oil level and pressure to detect any potential issues.

What causes engine oil flow/pressure restriction?

There are several possible causes of engine oil flow/pressure restriction, including dirty or clogged oil filters, worn out oil pumps, damaged oil passages, and improper oil viscosity. It is important to address these issues promptly to prevent further damage to the engine.

How can I prevent engine oil flow/pressure restriction?

Regular maintenance, such as oil and filter changes according to the manufacturer's recommendations, can help prevent engine oil flow/pressure restriction. It is also important to use the correct type and viscosity of oil for your specific engine. Additionally, keeping the engine clean and free of debris can help prevent clogs and restrictions in the oil system.