Engine on the net that will solve PDEs

In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about solving PDEs using an engine on the internet. The initial question asks for recommendations on an engine that can solve PDEs, and the following responses include an explanation of how to solve a linear first order PDE and a discussion about a potential mistake in the question. The conversation also includes a mention of an email response from Convode, which provides a solution for a given PDE. However, there is uncertainty about the accuracy of the solution and the determination of an arbitrary function.
coverband
Hi

Does anybody know if there is an engine on the net that will solve PDEs.

I'm looking for the solution of a linear first order PDE

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

yzx+xzy+z=y z=2 @ (3,1)

Is it not that we first solve the auxiliary equation ?
[tex] \frac{dx}{y} = \frac{dy}{x} = \frac{dz}{y - z} [/tex]

Let the two solutions be u=c1 and v=c2. Then the general solution is u=f(v).

But not sure how to include the given initial condition z=2 @ (3,1) .

Thank you for your input. I will consider this

I had sent the following to convode@riemann.physmath.fundp.ac.be

NMAX:=3;
SMAX:=4;
LPARTI:={};
ARGSTOP:=2;
DEPEND Z,X;
DEPEND Z,Y;
L2:={Z};
L3:={X,Y};
L4:={2,{3,1}};
L5:={};
L1:={Y*DF(Z,X)+X*DF(Z,Y)+Z-Y=0};
CONVODE(L1,L2,L3,L4,L5);

and received the reply for the solution as follows (if I retype it correctly)
[tex]z = (2x+2y)^{-1} (2\sqrt{- x^2 +y^2}f(- x^2 + y^2)+(y^2-x^2)\log(\frac{x+y}{\sqrt{-x^2 + y^2}})+x^2 +xy)[/tex]

where f is an arbitrary function.
Can we believe the solution given?

Thanks

Convode sends it back in a weird asss format in the email. Difficult to read no !?

I think the question might be faulty or at least the initial conditions. I don't know is it solvable by just being given the value of z at a POINT rather than along a curve/line

Last edited:

Never mind about that messy result given by convode. But it do gave something.

Let say there is a mistake giving a point. A curve or a line given instead as you said. How do we determine that arbitrary function?

Related to Engine on the net that will solve PDEs

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves functions and their partial derivatives. These equations are commonly used to model physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. How does the "Engine on the net" solve PDEs?

The "Engine on the net" uses advanced algorithms and numerical methods to solve PDEs. It takes in the initial conditions and boundary conditions of the problem and uses them to calculate the solution at different points in the domain.

3. What types of PDEs can the "Engine on the net" solve?

The "Engine on the net" is versatile and can solve a wide range of PDEs, including elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic equations. It can also handle both linear and nonlinear PDEs.

4. Is the solution provided by the "Engine on the net" accurate?

Yes, the "Engine on the net" provides highly accurate solutions to PDEs. It uses sophisticated numerical methods and can handle complex problems with high levels of precision.

5. Can I use the "Engine on the net" for real-world applications?

Yes, the "Engine on the net" is designed for real-world applications and has been used in various industries, including engineering, physics, and finance. Its accurate and efficient solutions make it a valuable tool for solving PDEs in practical scenarios.