Engineering Physics: Am I marketable ? Any input is appreciated

In summary, the EP major is marketable and your course plan shows a good mix of skills and knowledge. Specializing in a particular area or gaining relevant experience can also increase your marketability. Consider your interests and future goals when making decisions about your major and career path.
SPhy
Engineering Physics: Am I "marketable"? Any input is appreciated!

:smile:Hello PF community! If this thread counts more as career guidance, then mods, please move, thanks!

Anyway, first time poster here! I'm 20 years old and currently attending a community college in California. Hopefully within the next year or two, I will be transferring to either UCB or UCSD: First choice is UCB. My major as it stands is Engineering Physics. UCB and UCSD are the only public schools in California that offer the EP major, so I am pressured to get admitted to either! I have a 3.83 GPA right now, so I am on the right track. As a "back up plan", I will also be applying to UCR and SFSU for a major with similar core requirements. If it comes to this, I may just take engineering classes as a grad student.

Interestingly enough, if I decide to do so, the core requirements are also setting me up to change my major to a joint of ChemE/material science (@UCB) . The transition wouldn't be an issue. Even though I am pretty firm on the EP major, I would enjoying making an engineering career out of either. I also haven't thrown out the possibility of law school.

Moreover, my point of making this thread is to gather advice or input on if I am making myself "marketable". My biggest fear is being under or unemployed, more so unemployed or lack of stability. The underemployed part isn't a big issue, I just don't want to be working in a field that severely under-utilizes my skills.

If I get accepted into UCB, with the EP major, these are the classes I will be taking Junior and Senior year.

Junior year Fall Semester

Math 104 - Intro to Analysis
ME 104 - Engineering Mechanics
Physics 137 A - Quantum Mechanics I
* Other Electives are listed, but I believe I will be covering most of them at my CC.

Junior year Spring Semester

E 115 - Engineering Thermodynamics
Math 185 - Intro to Complex Analysis
Physics 137B - Quantum Mechanics II

Senior year Fall Semester
EE 143 - Microfabrication Technology

I can take Physics 110A and 110B(will be taken Senior year Spring Semester) – Electromagnetism and Optics OR EE 117– Electromagnetic Fields and Waves and EE 119 (will be taken Senior year Spring Semester) – Introduction to Optical Engineering

MSE 111 – Electric and Magnetic Properties of Materials OR
Physics 141A – Solid State Physics

Senior year Spring Semester

ME 185 – Introduction to Continuum Mechanics
* Either Physics 110B or EE 119(See above)
Additional elective of my choice.

--------------------
I listed the OR classes there because I am not sure which one I will be taking. Suggestions are appreciated!
--------------------

In essence, I am not really super-specializing anywhere in particular. Will this be a problem or can it work in my favor? Obviously I may have to enter grad school, which shouldn't be a problem, and as I said, I may even consider law school.

Do I have a decent plan or should I reconsider (ChemE/Ms option)? I know the job market is tough in any field really, but I, as any student, want to put myself in the best position I can.

Again, all suggestions, advice, and input are appreciated. Btw, if anything is unclear, let me know because I typed this up fairly quick:-p

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It's great to see that you are actively thinking about your future and considering different options. I can offer some input on your plan and potential career paths.

First of all, the EP major is definitely marketable. It combines the problem-solving skills of engineering with the analytical and theoretical knowledge of physics, making you a valuable candidate for a wide range of industries. In addition, your plan to take engineering classes as a grad student or pursue a law degree can also open up even more opportunities for you.

In terms of your specific course plan, it looks like you have a good mix of classes that cover a diverse range of topics. This can definitely work in your favor, as it shows that you have a well-rounded understanding of different aspects of engineering and physics. However, it may also be beneficial to specialize in a particular area, such as materials science or electromagnetism, if you have a strong interest in those fields.

Ultimately, the key to being marketable is not just having a specific set of classes or skills, but also being able to communicate your abilities and experiences effectively to potential employers. This can include internships, research projects, or extracurricular activities that showcase your skills and passion for your field.

In terms of your back-up plan of switching to ChemE/material science, that could also be a great option if you have a strong interest in those fields. However, keep in mind that it may require you to take additional classes or catch up on material that you may have missed by not majoring in those subjects from the beginning.

Overall, I think you have a solid plan and are taking the right steps to make yourself marketable. Keep exploring your interests and gaining experience, and you will be in a good position to pursue a successful career in engineering or beyond. Best of luck to you!

Related to Engineering Physics: Am I marketable ? Any input is appreciated

1. What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles of physics, mathematics, and engineering to solve real-world problems. It focuses on the application of physical laws and theories to design and develop new technologies and systems.

2. What career opportunities are available for engineering physics graduates?

Engineering physics graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, telecommunications, and healthcare. They can work as research scientists, design engineers, technical consultants, and more.

3. Is engineering physics a marketable degree?

Yes, engineering physics is a highly marketable degree. The skills and knowledge acquired in this field are in high demand in various industries, making graduates highly sought after by employers.

4. What skills do I need to be successful in engineering physics?

To be successful in engineering physics, you need a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as excellent problem-solving and analytical skills. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in interdisciplinary teams.

5. How can I make myself stand out as an engineering physics graduate?

To stand out as an engineering physics graduate, you can gain practical experience through internships, research projects, or co-op programs. You can also pursue specialized courses or certifications in a specific area of engineering physics to enhance your skills and knowledge.