Engineering Physics programs without Engineering

In summary, your goal should be to get ABET accredited. Schools that offer engineering physics without an engineering program typically have a different major title, meaning that you will need to clarify what you mean when you say "engineering physics." You might also want to consider contacting other universities in the area to see if you can do a cross listing to start.
Scott Hill
Is anyone aware of a liberal arts college (or other such school) that offers Engineering Physics without having a full-blown Engineering program? I'm a physics professor at a small school and we're investigating the feasibility of adding such a program ourselves; it would be useful to see some examples.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well your end goal at a minimum should be to get ABET accredited.

http://www.abet.org/accreditation/

I would look through here and ensure that any system you come up with will meet these requirements.

Likes dlgoff, Scott Hill and berkeman
Thanks for the suggestion.

Some concrete examples (if they exist) would be helpful though. It's easy to offer Engineering Physics when you already have an engineering program, but I'm wondering if anyone is managing it without one.

I suggest that partly the difficulty, or lack thereof, depends on what you intend that degree title to mean. Does it mean a physics degree with just a dab of engineering included, or does it mean an engineering degree with a dose of physics? The title itself lends itself to interpretation either way.

Dr.D said:
I suggest that partly the difficulty, or lack thereof, depends on what you intend that degree title to mean. Does it mean a physics degree with just a dab of engineering included, or does it mean an engineering degree with a dose of physics? The title itself lends itself to interpretation either way.
I believe the major is meant to sit at the edge of both disciplines. Although I am sure the definition varies from program to program (as does all majors) it was first explained to me as an engineering major that fully prepares one to take a graduate degree in physics or labratory work, as opposed to an emphasis on entering industry. Below is a link to Stanford's engineering physics program.

https://physics.stanford.edu/undergraduate-program/bs-engineering-physics

My advice to OP. I don't think engineering physics without an engineering program is very common, although that is speculation as I have not done very much effort into the topic. I would guess that many engineering physics program that are hosted by the physics department simply have the students take classes from both the engineering and physics departments. That would not work for you though. I would start by looking at schools with engineering physics that started with physics departments before engineering. See if any had engineering physics crop up first, and look at the history to see what they did. It might be difficult to find.

Another option you have is to contact other universities in the area to see if you can do a cross listing to start. If you have another university 30 minutes away (or this new thing called online classes!), students might be able to take some engineering classes at those universities. If you want to keep it all in house, It will likely require teaching new courses in material relatively new to the professors, or at least from another angle. Will the professors be able to handle the extra course load (This is what you are researching I think!)?

1. What is the difference between an Engineering Physics program and a traditional Engineering program?

An Engineering Physics program focuses on the application of physics principles to solve engineering problems, while a traditional Engineering program focuses on the design and construction of systems and structures. Engineering Physics programs also have a stronger emphasis on theoretical and mathematical concepts.

2. Can I still become a licensed engineer with an Engineering Physics degree?

Yes, you can still become a licensed engineer with an Engineering Physics degree. Many states have specific requirements for licensure, but most accept an Engineering Physics degree as a qualifying degree for licensing exams.

3. Will I have the same job opportunities as a traditional Engineering graduate?

While traditional Engineering programs may offer more specialized coursework for specific industries, Engineering Physics graduates still have a wide range of job opportunities. They are often sought after for their strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

4. Is an Engineering Physics program more difficult than a traditional Engineering program?

The difficulty level of an Engineering Physics program may vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. However, since Engineering Physics programs have a stronger emphasis on theoretical concepts, some students may find it more challenging than traditional Engineering programs.

5. What career paths can I pursue with an Engineering Physics degree?

Engineering Physics graduates have a variety of career options, including roles in research and development, product design, quality control, and consulting. They are also well-suited for graduate studies in fields such as engineering, physics, or applied mathematics.