Epsilon-delta limit definition trouble

In summary: By taking \delta=min(\frac{2665\epsilon}{54},1) we get that:|\frac{x+1}{x^2+1}-\frac{5}{41}| < \epsilon whenever 0<|x-9|<\deltaIn summary, the conversation discusses using the \epsilon-\delta definition to prove the limit \lim_{x \to 9}\frac{x+1}{x^2+1} and arrives at a solution of \frac{5}{41} by restricting the attention to a specific range of x values and finding a corresponding value for \delta that satisfies the definition. A mistake is identified and corrected, leading to the final solution.
rudders93

Homework Statement

Guess the limit and use the [itex]\epsilon[/itex]-[itex]\delta[/itex] definition to prove that your guess is correct.

[itex]\lim_{x \to 9}\frac{x+1}{x^2+1}[/itex]2. The attempt at a solution

Guess limit to be [itex]\frac{10}{82}=\frac{5}{41}[/itex]

Therefore:

[itex]|\frac{x+1}{x^2+1}-\frac{5}{41}| = |\frac{(x-9)(5x+4)}{41(x^2+1)}|[/itex]

Restrict attention to [itex]|x-9|<1[/itex]

Therefore: [itex]|\frac{(x-9)(5x+4)}{41(x^2+1)}|<|\frac{54|x-9|}{4141}|<\epsilon[/itex]

By taking [itex]\delta=min(\frac{4141\epsilon}{54},1)[/itex] we get that:

[itex]|\frac{x+1}{x^2+1}-\frac{5}{41}| < \epsilon[/itex] whenever [itex]0<|x-9|<\delta[/itex]That's my working, but I think I've made a mistake, as when I check my work by using [itex]\epsilon=0.01[/itex] my [itex]\delta[/itex] does not satisfy. This is because I get [itex]0<|x-9|<0.76686 \Rightarrow 8.23314<x<9.76686[/itex]. But then I take say 9.76 and it doesn't hold as I get [itex]|\frac{9.76+1}{9.76^2+1}-\frac{5}{41}| = 0.010168[/itex] which is greater than my [itex]\epsilon[/itex] of 0.01.

Can anyone help me out with where I went wrong? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
41(11)= 451, not 4141.

Hi, thanks for reply!

Sorry, but where is the calculation 41 * 11? I can only think of 41*(10^2+1) :(

Found my error. Was I subbed in the largest value of the restricted x range in the denominator, which makes the expression smaller, instead of subbing in the smallest value of the restricted x range (x = 8) into the denominator

So it becomes: [itex]|\frac{(x-9)(5x+4)}{41(x^2+1)}|<|\frac{54|x-9|}{2665}|<\epsilon[/itex]

Related to Epsilon-delta limit definition trouble

1. What is the epsilon-delta limit definition?

The epsilon-delta limit definition is a rigorous mathematical definition of the limit of a function. It involves using two parameters, epsilon and delta, to precisely define how close the function values get to the limit value as the input values get closer to a specific point.

2. Why is the epsilon-delta limit definition important?

The epsilon-delta limit definition is important because it provides a rigorous and precise definition of the limit, which is a fundamental concept in calculus and other branches of mathematics. It allows us to prove theorems and make accurate calculations based on the concept of a limit.

3. What is meant by "epsilon-delta trouble"?

"Epsilon-delta trouble" refers to difficulties or confusion that may arise when trying to understand or apply the epsilon-delta limit definition. This can occur because the concept is abstract and may be challenging for some people to grasp at first.

4. How can I overcome "epsilon-delta trouble"?

To overcome "epsilon-delta trouble," it is important to have a strong understanding of the mathematical concepts involved in the limit definition. This may require reviewing fundamental concepts in calculus, such as continuity and convergence, and practicing with various examples and exercises.

5. Can the epsilon-delta limit definition be applied to all functions?

Yes, the epsilon-delta limit definition can be applied to all functions that have well-defined limits. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques to evaluate the limit, and some may not have a limit at all.