European master -> Ph.D in USA

In summary, the individual is currently completing a Master's degree in Dynamical Systems at the Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden and is considering applying to a Ph.D program in Electrical Engineering in the United States. They acknowledge that their lack of research experience may put them at a disadvantage compared to American students. However, they have a strong academic background, including a one-year exchange program at a top French school and summer research at Caltech. They also have the potential for strong letters of recommendation and a decent GRE Math score. The individual is seeking advice on whether it is advantageous to already have a Master's degree when applying for a Ph.D program and which US schools are strong in Electrical Engineering and may be a good fit for their application. They also
pettni
I am one year away from completing a master in Dynamical Systems (previously I have a Bachelor in Engineering Physics) at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in Sweden. It is considered a top school in Sweden but in international rankings you will have to look way down the lists to find it. I have started to think about applying to a Ph.D program in Electrical Engineering for next year and would like to do it in the states. The problem is that I don't know what chances I have to get in, or how high I should aim. The dream would be to go to Berkeley or another top-school in California.

The swedish system is quite different. Usually you apply to a 5-year Bachelor+Master program and then you already have a master when applying for a Ph.D. Also, the students are not very involved in research so I probably lack in research experience. Especially compared to 2nd-year Ph.D's in USA.

Short bio:
I had 100% A's in my Bachelor's degree. My master will have some B's and a C, but the average is still high. I have done a one-year exchange at École Polytechnique, a top french school. I did summer research at Caltech last summer which resulted in an accepted conference paper I presented recently. This summer I am doing another project at Polytechnique, with a bit of luck and blessing from my mentor it will result in a publication. I think I can get three strong letters of recommendation from my mentors in these projects and a contact at my home university. I can most likely get a very decent GRE Math score, but most EE programs don't seem to require it so I don't know if it would be a plus. I will be a tutor in a freshman Linear Algebra course during the autumn.

Questions:
Is it an advantage to already have a master when applying? If admitted, can I expect a shorter time until graduation? Europeans doing a phd in the states are especially welcome to answer.
Which US schools are strong in Electrical Engineering (specifically Dynamical Systems and Control)? Where could I have a shot at getting admitted?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's almost 4 years late, but I'm interested in what you may have found. What have you found about the way it works when transferring from an European Master to an American PhD? And is it easy to get into a PhD program? Perhaps it's better to get directly into an American PhD?

voila said:
It's almost 4 years late

Last Activity: Jan 7, 2013

I don't still master the forum well. Thanks for the warning, Vanadium 50.

Tip: you can find the "last activity" date by clicking on the person's username. Actually it's labeled "xxx was last seen: [...]".

Likes voila

Related to European master -> Ph.D in USA

1. How do I apply for a European master's degree program?

To apply for a European master's degree program, you will need to research the specific admissions requirements for the program you are interested in. Generally, you will need to have completed an undergraduate degree in a related field, submit your transcripts and letters of recommendation, and possibly take a standardized test such as the GRE or GMAT. You may also need to provide a statement of purpose or research proposal. Be sure to check the deadlines for application submission as well.

2. Can I use my European master's degree to apply for a Ph.D program in the USA?

Yes, most Ph.D programs in the USA accept international students with degrees from other countries. However, you will need to make sure that your European master's degree is equivalent to a U.S. master's degree. This can be determined by using a credential evaluation service. Additionally, you may need to provide proof of English language proficiency, such as TOEFL or IELTS scores.

3. Will I need to take any additional courses or exams to be eligible for a Ph.D program in the USA?

It depends on the specific Ph.D program you are applying to. Some programs may require you to take certain courses or exams, while others may not. It is important to carefully review the admissions requirements for each program to which you are applying. Some programs may also offer conditional admission, meaning they will accept you into the program with the condition that you complete certain courses or exams before starting the program.

4. How do I find Ph.D programs in the USA that align with my research interests and career goals?

You can start by researching universities and their graduate programs in your field of study. Many universities have websites where you can search for specific Ph.D programs and read about the faculty and their research interests. You can also reach out to professors or researchers in your field to inquire about potential Ph.D programs and opportunities for research collaboration.

5. Is there funding available for international students pursuing a Ph.D in the USA?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a Ph.D in the USA. Some universities offer scholarships or assistantships specifically for international students, while others may have funding available through research grants. You can also look into external funding sources, such as government scholarships or private organizations. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities well in advance, as they may have specific deadlines and application requirements.