Exploring Font Options for TeX Documents

• MHB
  • Thread starter caffeinemachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Font Options
In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to customize the font style in TeXworks. The person is looking for a font that has an "old" feel, specifically mentioning "Herstein's Topics in Algebra" as a reference. They are seeking suggestions for packages or resources that can help with this and someone suggests checking the LaTeX Wikibook and The LaTeX Companion for examples and information on existing packages and external TrueType fonts.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB.
I have recently started using TeX to create math documents. I am using TeXworks.
The pdf created by the software looks good but the font style is something I don't like.
I would like my document to have fonts like that used in "Herstein's Topics in Algebra"...or something which feels "old"... The default font is "too modern". Is there a way, a package I guess, which can give me other than the default font? Or is that feature not at all there in TeX?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: font help

Hello Caffeine! The place that almost always holds the answer I look for is LaTeX's Wikibook. In this case, it seemed best to plow through the "useful websites" section. Out of the five linked, this one is which seemed the most helpful to me. :D

On a side (and personal) note, Herstein's "Topics in Algebra" font doesn't look much different from LaTeX's original font, Computer Modern. I have the second edition borrowed from the library, perhaps you have a younger (or older) version. As a matter of fact, the font used in the book appears to be good old Times New Roman. :)

Cheers.

Section 8.8.3 of The LaTeX Companion (2nd edition) has a collection of 16 examples typeset using existing packages that provide both text and math fonts. Also, chapter 7 describes fonts, including existing packages and external TrueType fonts. However, using TrueType fonts may be quite tricky and, since the book was published 8 years ago, there may be newer descriptions and/or tools on the Internet. I find the UK List of TeX Frequently Asked Questions very useful.

\usepackage{font name of your choice} as long as you have it.

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your experience with using TeX to create math documents. I completely understand your desire to have a specific font style for your documents.

Fortunately, TeX offers a variety of font options that you can choose from. One way to change the font style is by using a different font package. For example, the "mathptmx" package will give you a Times New Roman font style, while the "mathpazo" package will give you a Palatino font style. You can also experiment with other font packages such as "mathdesign" or "newtxmath" to find a style that suits your preferences.

To use these font packages, you would need to add the package name in the preamble of your TeX document, before the \begin{document} command. For example, \usepackage{mathptmx}.

Another option is to use the "fontspec" package, which allows you to choose any font installed on your computer. This gives you even more flexibility in selecting a font style for your document.

I hope this helps you in exploring and finding the perfect font style for your TeX documents. Happy typesetting!

1. What is the purpose of exploring font options for TeX documents?

The purpose of exploring font options for TeX documents is to enhance the visual appeal and readability of the document. Different fonts can convey different tones and styles, and choosing the right font can make a significant impact on the overall presentation of the document.

2. What are some common font options available for TeX documents?

Some common font options for TeX documents include serif, sans-serif, and monospace fonts. Serif fonts have small decorative lines at the end of each stroke, while sans-serif fonts do not. Monospace fonts have equal spacing between each character, giving the document a more uniform and typewriter-like appearance.

3. How do I choose the right font for my TeX document?

When choosing a font for your TeX document, consider the purpose and audience of your document. If it is a formal document, a serif font may be more appropriate. If it is a modern and clean document, a sans-serif font may be a better choice. It is also important to consider the readability of the font, as some fonts may be more difficult to read at smaller sizes.

4. Can I use custom fonts in TeX documents?

Yes, it is possible to use custom fonts in TeX documents. However, this requires some additional steps such as installing the font on your computer and using the appropriate packages and commands in your TeX document. It is important to make sure that the custom font is compatible with TeX before using it.

5. Are there any restrictions on using fonts in TeX documents?

There are no restrictions on using fonts in TeX documents as long as the font is compatible with TeX. However, it is important to keep in mind copyright laws when using fonts in your document. It is always best to use fonts that are freely available or have appropriate licensing for commercial use.