Exploring Physics and Scheduling Calculus Courses

In summary, a high school senior preparing to major in physics is wondering if it is realistic to take calculus and university physics courses in the same semester without any background in calculus. They are also questioning if it is necessary to take pre-calculus before college calculus or if college algebra and trigonometry/analytical geometry will suffice. The general consensus is that it is possible to take both courses simultaneously, but it may be beneficial to take calculus first for a better understanding. Some suggest taking both courses in the second semester, while others recommend studying basic calculus during winter break to prepare for the workload. Overall, it is important to consider the suggested curriculum and the availability of courses at the university.
FordPrefect
Hello physics forum! First let me say this site is excellent for insight into this wonderful subject! I've learned a tremendous amount just by surfing the forums in the short period of time that I've been here.

Now for my reason in posting...

I am currently a senior in high school preparing to begin college in the fall as a physics major. My question is regarding scheduling Calculus and University Physics courses in the same semester without having any background in calculus. The suggested curriculum schedule set up for the University I will attend, suggests that students should take Calculus I and University Physics (calculus based physics... or so I've been told) together in the same semester. Is it realistic that they expect one to learn calculus at the same time they must apply it towards a physics course? Do they ease into the calculus-physics at the same pace as the calculus lessons, or would it be better to ignore the suggested curricula and take calculus before university physics in two separate semesters?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

*Edited*
Sorry I must edit my post because I forgot to ask another question that I had in mind. Is it necessary to take pre-calculus before you take college calculus, or will college algebra and college trigonometry/analytical geometry prepare you enough to take college calculus, without having to take pre-calculus?
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To answer your first question, I think that it is OK to take Calculus I at the same time you take calculus based Physics (Classical Mechanics only, for EM you will need Calc II). That is because for physics all you will need to know is how to differentiate simple equations (in most cases the prof will give you the rule to use too) and know what derivates of physical equations mean. It might be a bit confusing at first, because your phys class might start using calc before your calc class, but after a week or two your calc class will catch up and overtake phys.

Simultaneous enrollment Calcu 1 and Physics 1 - Safer to study the first semester of Calculus first so you have more time to learn it before using even the simpler parts for Physics 1.

PreCalculus or set of College Algebra + Trigonometry separate courses - As preparation for first semester calculus, either is adequate. You basically describe almost the same thing, except "PreCalculus" will combine both courses into one (College Algebra AND Trigonometry). What are typical student practices today? Often students who felt strong, would avoid the PreCalculus course, but just rely on Intermediate Algebra and Trigonometry separate courses and then enroll in first semester Calculus.

FordPrefect said:
Sorry I must edit my post because I forgot to ask another question that I had in mind. Is it necessary to take pre-calculus before you take college calculus, or will college algebra and college trigonometry/analytical geometry prepare you enough to take college calculus, without having to take pre-calculus?
Thanks again.

Pre-calc I think is only needed if you need a review of trig/algebra. It basically packs all the concepts from those two subjects into one semester. At my school there was as a very very basic introduction to limits... but it was so basic you could pick it up in a very short time of reading. So as long as your algebra & trig skills are fine, you should be ok. Its said if your skills aren't fine, they will be ok by the end of calculus or you won't pass. Anyway, I didn't learn anything new in pre-calc that I didn't learn in those two classes besides the basic introduction of limits.

Wow, thanks for all the quick help everyone!

I think that I will travel the algebra/trigonometry route instead of the pre-calculus just to get a more in-depth "review" of the mathematics. I will be taking the college algebra course over the summer, then the trigonometry/analytical geometry course during my 1st semester.

I still just need to decide if for my second semester it would be better to study calculus and put off the physics courses for my sophomore year... or if I should try to carry the heavy load of calculus AND calculus based physics for my second semester.

Oh well... I have got a little bit of time to decide.

Thanks again.

If you decide not to do Calculus I and Physics I in the same semester (which I think would be just fine if you study enough), you might want to make sure that this will not set you back too far. For example, if you are at a smaller school, Physics I may only be offered in the fall and waiting until sophomore year may result in your degree taking an additional year depending on the schedules later on. It could be fine but it is worth looking into since "suggested curricula" is usually such for a reason. Again, I think taking them concurrently right away would be no problem for you if you took algebra and trigonometry in high school.

Thanks for the input...I am afraid that it would set me back as well. It would probably be in my best interest to do University Physics and Calculus I both during my second semester. Maybe on winter break before my second semester I can study some basic calculus on my own in order to prepare for the work-load.

It's a large University (University of Kentucky), so I don't think the "scheduling" should be much of a problem.

Thanks everyone!

Related to Exploring Physics and Scheduling Calculus Courses

1. What is the purpose of exploring physics and scheduling calculus courses?

The purpose of exploring physics and scheduling calculus courses is to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and mathematics in order to apply them in various fields such as engineering, technology, and scientific research. This helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in these fields.

2. What are the benefits of studying physics and calculus?

Studying physics and calculus not only provides a strong foundation for further studies in STEM fields, but also helps in developing analytical and logical thinking. It also helps in understanding the natural world and making predictions about its behavior. Moreover, proficiency in these subjects can open up a wide range of career opportunities.

3. What is the best way to prepare for a physics or calculus course?

The best way to prepare for a physics or calculus course is to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in algebra and trigonometry. It is also beneficial to have a basic understanding of scientific principles and concepts. It is recommended to review and practice these topics before starting the course to ensure a smoother learning experience.

4. Are there any resources available to help with understanding physics and calculus?

Yes, there are various resources available to help with understanding physics and calculus. These include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It is important to actively engage with these resources and seek help from professors and peers if needed.

5. Is it necessary to take both physics and calculus courses?

It is not necessary to take both physics and calculus courses, but it is highly recommended. While physics provides the theoretical foundation for understanding the natural world, calculus provides the mathematical tools to analyze and solve problems. Together, these courses provide a comprehensive understanding of the physical world and its mathematical representation.