Extended Essay on Engineering

Your Name]In summary, a student named Kar from Ireland is seeking guidance on writing an extended essay for the IB program. They are interested in exploring the applications of differential calculus in engineering and are looking for resources and a specific title for their essay. Suggestions include consulting engineering textbooks, online resources, and narrowing down the topic to a specific field of engineering.
Kareir
Hey All,

(apologies, for not using the correct format, but this is a slightly different style of query.)
First post on this forum, so.. Hey.

Anyway, to get to the point.. I live in Ireland, and I'm doing a program called the IB. It more or less covers the last two years of American High School, i think.. One of the requirements is that we write an extended (4000 word) essay on an academic topic. I've been considering writing it on Maths, but not quite sure where to start. It has to be a fairly specific title, and as I'm hoping to study engineering in college, i was thinking of a title along the lines of "Applications of Differential Calculus in Engineering".

I was wondering whether you guys would know a good place to start on this topic. Books to read, weblinks, even just a basic overview of topics that would rely strongly on differential calculus. We cover diff. fairly well, although it'll probably be next year before we get to the "Applications of Diff. Calc." section. If you have any suggestions on the best place to start looking, or even a better, more specific title, then it'd be welcome..

Apologies if this isn't the correct topic for this board, or even the forum in general.

_Kar.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Kar,

Thank you for reaching out to us for guidance on your extended essay topic. I am always excited to see young minds interested in exploring the application of math in real-world scenarios.

To start off, I would suggest looking into some engineering textbooks or online resources that specifically cover the applications of differential calculus in engineering. This will give you a good foundation and understanding of the subject. Some popular textbooks on this topic include "Engineering Mathematics" by K.A. Stroud and "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William L. Briggs and Lyle Cochran.

In addition to textbooks, there are many online resources that can provide you with a basic overview of topics that rely strongly on differential calculus in engineering. Some of these resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These platforms offer free online courses and tutorials that can help you understand the practical applications of differential calculus in engineering.

As for a specific title for your essay, I think your current idea of "Applications of Differential Calculus in Engineering" is a great starting point. However, you could also consider narrowing it down to a specific field of engineering, such as "Applications of Differential Calculus in Mechanical Engineering" or "Applications of Differential Calculus in Civil Engineering". This will give your essay a more focused approach and allow you to delve deeper into the specific applications within that field.

I hope this helps you get started on your essay. Best of luck and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Hello Kar,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first post! It's great to see young minds like yours interested in academic topics and considering engineering as a future career path.

Writing an extended essay on engineering is a great idea and "Applications of Differential Calculus in Engineering" is a very specific and relevant topic. I can give you some suggestions on where to start your research and what resources to use for your essay.

Firstly, I would recommend starting with some introductory books on engineering mathematics. These will provide you with a basic understanding of the principles and applications of differential calculus in engineering. Some good books to consider are "Engineering Mathematics" by K.A. Stroud and "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig.

Another useful resource would be online lectures and tutorials on differential calculus in engineering. Khan Academy is a great platform for free online tutorials on various academic topics, including engineering mathematics. You can also check out MIT OpenCourseWare for more in-depth lectures and course materials on differential calculus and its applications in engineering.

When it comes to specific applications, some topics that rely heavily on differential calculus are mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits. You can focus on one of these areas and explore how differential calculus is used to solve problems and design systems in engineering. You could also consider looking into real-world examples of engineering projects that have utilized differential calculus, such as designing bridges or analyzing the flow of fluids in pipelines.

As for a more specific title, you could consider something like "Optimizing Structural Design Using Differential Calculus" or "Efficient Energy Management in Electrical Circuits with Differential Calculus". These titles focus on a specific application and can help guide your research and writing.

I hope this helps you get started on your extended essay. Remember to always cite your sources and approach your research with a critical and analytical mindset. Good luck with your essay and your future studies in engineering!

1. What is an Extended Essay on Engineering?

An Extended Essay on Engineering is an in-depth research paper that explores a specific topic or question related to the field of engineering. It is a requirement for students pursuing the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma and typically ranges from 3,000 to 4,000 words.

2. How is an Extended Essay on Engineering different from other research papers?

An Extended Essay on Engineering differs from other research papers in that it requires students to apply their knowledge and skills in the field of engineering to a specific topic or question. It also requires the use of primary and secondary research, as well as the analysis and evaluation of data and information.

3. What are the benefits of writing an Extended Essay on Engineering?

Writing an Extended Essay on Engineering can provide numerous benefits, such as developing research skills, critical thinking abilities, and time management skills. It also allows students to explore a topic of interest in depth and gain a deeper understanding of the field of engineering.

4. How do I choose a topic for my Extended Essay on Engineering?

Choosing a topic for an Extended Essay on Engineering can be challenging, but it is important to select a topic that is specific, manageable, and aligned with your interests and skills. You can also seek guidance from your supervisor or refer to past Extended Essays for inspiration.

5. What are the key components of an Extended Essay on Engineering?

The key components of an Extended Essay on Engineering include a research question, introduction, literature review, methodology, results and analysis, conclusion, and references. It is also important to include appropriate diagrams, charts, and other visual aids to support your arguments and findings.