External hardware to use software?

In summary: So Biovia contain several programs, like Castep, Dmol3 or Onetep, each one is being developed to calculate specific models it may be quantum mechanics or it may be mesoscale models, Onetep is the one that is useful to calculate properties of high number of atoms molecules.
jonjacson
Hi folks,

I have access to Biovia Materials Studio, but my computer is old and is not fast enough to take advantage of the software, What can I do? ANy idea?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Buy a new computer seems about the only thing.

Likes HAYAO and russ_watters
phinds said:
Buy a new computer seems about the only thing.
universities have supercomputing services if you are a researcher, I wonder if there is a paid service similar

jonjacson said:
but onetep calculates hundreds of atoms properties, I doubt you can do that with a normal computer
I don't know what onetep is -- you asked about Biovia Materials Studio, and I reported what they have for hardware requirements. Whatever it means to calculate the properties of "hundreds of atoms" is probably within the capabilities of a modern CPU. But again, I don't know what onetep is or does, so I can't say for sure.

Mark44 said:
I don't know what onetep is -- you asked about Biovia Materials Studio, and I reported what they have for hardware requirements. Whatever it means to calculate the properties of "hundreds of atoms" is probably within the capabilities of a modern CPU. But again, I don't know what onetep is or does, so I can't say for sure.
So Biovia contain several programs, like Castep, Dmol3 or Onetep, each one is being developed to calculate specific models it may be quantum mechanics or it may be mesoscale models, Onetep is the one that is useful to calculate properties of high number of atoms molecules.

http://www.onetep.org/

1. What is external hardware?

External hardware refers to physical devices or components that are connected to a computer or other electronic device in order to enhance its functionality or expand its capabilities.

2. How does external hardware work with software?

External hardware works with software by receiving instructions and data from the software and carrying out tasks based on those instructions. This allows the software to utilize the external hardware's features and functions to perform certain tasks or processes.

3. What are some common examples of external hardware?

Some common examples of external hardware include printers, scanners, external hard drives, keyboards, mice, and monitors. Other examples may include microphones, webcams, and external graphics cards.

4. Can any external hardware be used with any software?

No, not all external hardware is compatible with all software. Some software may only be designed to work with specific types of external hardware, while others may be more flexible in terms of compatibility. It is important to check the specifications and requirements of both the software and external hardware before using them together.

5. How can external hardware improve the performance of software?

External hardware can improve the performance of software by providing additional resources or capabilities that the software may not have on its own. For example, an external graphics card can improve the graphics rendering capabilities of a computer, while an external hard drive can increase storage space and speed up data access for software that requires a lot of storage or processing power.