Face of face of a cone is a face. Proof?

• Thread starter Silversonic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone Proof
In summary, Chris has figured out how to show that the face of a face of a convex polyhedral cone is again the face of that polyhedral cone. He has attached a proof of this to this thread, but it is most likely invalid.
Silversonic
I could really do with some help. I'm trying to show that the face of a face of a convex polyhedral cone is again a face of that polyhedral cone. I have spent a couple hours thinking about this and CAN'T show it. The following apparently gives a proof of this, but it's surely invalid

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4752/vsqc.png

The bit I have underlined. I can see literally no reason why [itex] \langle u, v \rangle \geq 0[/itex] would mean that [itex] \langle u, v \rangle = 0[/itex]. Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This text is really hard to read because some stuff doesn't render or is mis type-setted, and they flip the meaning of v and w in the proof of 3. I believe the claim is using that v is contained in [itex] \check{\sigma}[/itex].

We know that [itex] \left<v,w \right> [/itex] is non-negative because v is in [itex] \check{sigma}[/itex] and w is in [itex] \sigma[/itex]. Furthermore, p is non-negativve and [itex] \left<u,w \right> [/itex] is non-negative as well (for the same reason as [itex] \left<v,w\right> [/itex]. So we are adding two non-negative things together and getting zero. The only way this can occur is if both non-negative things were zero to begin with.

I would also try to answer that, but why is p non negative? except for if [itex]R_{+}[/itex] notation means positive reals... I interpreted it at first as the real numbers supplied by the action of summation.

in the 2nd (3) and 2nd - it confused me more about it

Chris, [itex] \mathbb{R}_+[/itex] does mean positive reals.

Thanks for the replies, yeah I noticed the text was quite hard to read but it was the only proof I could find after a long search on google.

I have actually figured it out (after harder searching) and did it before I saw this thread. I've attached in case anyone wants a look.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4387/2x7r.png

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of a cone?

A cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape that has a circular base and a curved surface that tapers into a single point, called the apex.

2. How is the face of a cone defined?

The face of a cone refers to the flat surface that makes up the circular base of the cone.

3. Is the face of a cone considered a face of the cone?

Yes, the face of a cone is considered a face of the cone because it is a flat surface that makes up a part of the three-dimensional shape.

4. Can a cone have more than one face?

No, a cone can only have one face, which is the circular base. The curved surface of a cone is not considered a face because it is not a flat surface.

5. How can you prove that the face of a cone is a face of the cone?

The face of a cone can be proven to be a face of the cone by using the definition of a cone, which states that the circular base is a flat surface that makes up a part of the three-dimensional shape. Therefore, the face of the cone is a face of the cone.