Factoring: Is (r+y)^3 the same as [(1+y/r)^3∗r^3] ?

• Thread starter HappyS5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, we can see that ##(r+y)^3## is equivalent to ##[(1+y/r)^3*r^3]## as long as ##r \neq 0##. The parentheses around ##1 + \frac y r## can be omitted, making the expression simpler. Factoring out ##r## can be done using the distributive law and induction.
HappyS5
Homework Statement
I am just refreshing my calculus and have a question. I have a weakness with factoring.
Relevant Equations
$$(r+y)^3$$
Is ##(r+y)^3## the same as ##[(1+y/r)^3*r^3]##. If not, how do I factor r out of the parenthesis.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct, as long as ##r \neq 0##. The ##[]## parentheses can be omitted though, they are unnecessary.

Likes HappyS5
HappyS5 said:
Is ##(r+y)^3## the same as ##[(1+y/r)^3*r^3]##. If not, how do I factor r out of the parenthesis.
##(r + y)^3 = \frac{r^3}{r^3}(r + y)^3 = r^3(\frac 1 {r^3}(r + y)^3) = r^3(\frac{r + y}r)^3 = r^3(1 + \frac y r)^3##.
As already noted, ##r \ne 0##.

Likes archaic and scottdave
Mark44 said:
##(r + y)^3 = \frac{r^3}{r^3}(r + y)^3 = r^3(\frac 1 {r^3}(r + y)^3) = r^3(\frac{r + y}r)^3 = r^3(1 + \frac y r)^3##.
As already noted, ##r \ne 0##.

I did it this way:

$$(r+y)^3=(r(1+y/r))^3= r^3(1+y/r)^3$$

Likes archaic
HappyS5 said:
Homework Statement:: I am just refreshing my calculus and have a question. I have a weakness with factoring.
Relevant Equations:: $$(r+y)^3$$

To see this holds for all natural exponents ##n##, we can use the distributive law for the case ##n = 1##:
$$(r + y) = (1 + \frac y r)r$$
And for the inductive step, also using the distributive law:
$$(r + y)^{n + 1} = (r+y)(r+y)^n = r(1 + \frac y r)r^n(1 + \frac y r)^n = r^{n +1}(1 + \frac y r)^{n + 1}$$

Likes member 587159

1. What is factoring?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller parts, known as factors, that when multiplied together, give the original expression.

2. Is factoring important in mathematics?

Yes, factoring is an important tool in solving equations, simplifying expressions, and understanding relationships between numbers and variables.

3. What is the difference between (r+y)^3 and [(1+y/r)^3∗r^3]?

The main difference between these two expressions is the order in which the operations are performed. In (r+y)^3, the exponent is applied to the entire expression, while in [(1+y/r)^3∗r^3], the exponent is only applied to the first term, (1+y/r). Additionally, the second expression has an additional factor of r^3.

4. Can (r+y)^3 and [(1+y/r)^3∗r^3] be simplified to the same expression?

Yes, after expanding and simplifying [(1+y/r)^3∗r^3], it will result in the same expression as (r+y)^3.

5. How can factoring be useful in real-life applications?

Factoring is useful in many real-life applications, such as in finance, where it is used to determine the profit and loss of investments. It is also used in engineering to simplify complex equations and in computer science to optimize algorithms and data structures.