Fermions with no mass, and helicity coupling.

In summary: Overall, the relationship between mass and symmetry in this context is a topic of ongoing research and debate. In summary, the two equations mentioned are known as the Dirac equations and they reveal important insights into the relationship between mass and symmetry in quantum field theory.
IRobot
Hi, I was reading a lecture of qft and I found that two equations:
[tex]
\begin{flalign*}
i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu\psi_R - m\psi_L=0 \\
i \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu\psi_L - m\psi_R=0
\end{flalign*}
[/tex]
after splitting in two Dirac's equation with Weyl's projectors.
I found that really interesting that the coupling between the two chiralities is made by the mass term and that a massless fermion would have a symmetry U(1)xU(1) with one parameter for each helicity. But I would like to know if it has a much profound signification that the restriction to one symmetry is due to the mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two equations you mention are known as the Dirac equations, and they are a cornerstone of quantum field theory. The fact that a mass term is responsible for the coupling between the left- and right-handed components of the fermion is an important insight, since it implies that a massless fermion would be symmetric under U(1)xU(1). This has far-reaching implications, as it suggests that the mass of a particle may be related to its interaction with other particles in the standard model. Furthermore, this insight can also be used to explain certain experimental observations, such as the observed masses of neutrinos.

1. What are fermions with no mass?

Fermions are a type of elementary particle that make up matter. They have half-integer spin and follow the Pauli exclusion principle. When a fermion has no mass, it means that it does not have any rest mass and only exists as a particle in motion.

2. How are fermions with no mass different from other particles?

Fermions with no mass, also known as massless fermions, have unique properties compared to other particles. They travel at the speed of light and do not experience time or space in the same way as particles with mass do. They also have a specific type of spin called helicity, which determines their direction of spin relative to their momentum.

3. What is helicity coupling?

Helicity coupling is a type of interaction between massless fermions and other particles. It occurs when a particle with helicity interacts with a particle with opposite helicity, resulting in a transfer of energy and momentum between the two particles.

4. Can fermions with no mass have electric charge?

Yes, fermions with no mass can have electric charge. The masslessness of a fermion does not affect its ability to have electric charge, as this property is determined by the particle's fundamental nature and not its mass.

5. How do fermions with no mass contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Fermions with no mass play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. They are believed to be key components of the Standard Model of particle physics, which explains the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. Additionally, the existence of massless fermions has implications for the study of cosmology and the origin of the universe.