Final Year Project (BEng) Ideas

In summary, the person is looking for ideas for a final year project and is interested in aerospace-related topics. They are also interested in green energy.
herpamad
Hey All

I am looking for some ideas, or what might be an interesting project for a final year project for a Degree.

My degree is Mech Eng, but my key areas are:

- Aerospace
- Programming/Code/Systems
- Electronics/Signals
- Thermo/Fluid Dynamics

I was thinking of doing some aerospace related project, but can't find much that needs a good bit of research doing.

I was also thinking about Engines.

Looking for some good research areas/ideas and then what to call the title.

Asking a lot i know, but i have so many things i am interested in i will spend to much time chopping and changing, thus asking here to get some good ideas and run with one.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about picking something one of your university's research groups are working on? Or something relevant to the field in which you want to work?

Does your school have a wind tunnel?

I wonder if you would be interested in doing aerodynamical research on things from the natural world.Birds have been well researched but how about seeds?The dandelion and sycamore come to mind.

are you interested in Solar energy ?

it's a really great field, you can do a lot of projects related to it

like solar desalination, solar refrigeration or heating purposes

brewnog said:
How about picking something one of your university's research groups are working on? Or something relevant to the field in which you want to work?

I am at one of those that does little in the way of research, I was at a good Uni that did research in Aerospace mainly, thus wanting to run with that idea.

berkeman said:
Does your school have a wind tunnel?

Yes, its an OK one too, used for the Automotive chaps, what's was you thinking then? thanks.

Dadface said:
I wonder if you would be interested in doing aerodynamical research on things from the natural world.Birds have been well researched but how about seeds?The dandelion and sycamore come to mind.

Interesting, and i can get the mechanical content from Theromodynamics and Fluids, so may be worth considering as its very, very unusual. BUT, who would be interested in this research?

Eng Ahmed said:
are you interested in Solar energy ?

it's a really great field, you can do a lot of projects related to it

like solar desalination, solar refrigeration or heating purposes

I was thinking of doing something related to green energy with an aerospace theme, so yes i am interested in it to a degree, think be worth bearing in mind too.

---

The more ideas the better though, as i have to get someone at Uni to mentor this project, so the more i can take to them the better as i am bound to hit upon something they think is worth doing sooer or later.

Big push on Automotive in my Uni, but i am stearing clear of that.

Any more ideas? was thinking i am best to stick to aerospace and thermodynamics/fluids as this is my main area of interest, thanks

Related to Final Year Project (BEng) Ideas

1. What is a Final Year Project (BEng)?

A Final Year Project (BEng) is a culminating project that engineering students complete in their final year of undergraduate studies. It allows students to apply the knowledge and skills they have acquired throughout their degree to a real-world engineering problem or project.

2. How do I come up with ideas for my Final Year Project?

There are several ways to come up with ideas for your Final Year Project (BEng). You can start by identifying a problem or gap in the field of engineering that interests you. You can also look at current research and industry trends for inspiration. Additionally, discussing potential ideas with your supervisor or peers can help generate new ideas.

3. What should I consider when choosing a Final Year Project idea?

When choosing a Final Year Project idea, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and the resources available to you. You should also ensure that your project aligns with your program's requirements and has a clear objective that can be achieved within the given time frame.

4. Can I work on a Final Year Project independently?

Yes, you can work on a Final Year Project (BEng) independently, but it is recommended to have a supervisor or mentor to guide and support you throughout the project. They can provide valuable insights and feedback to help you successfully complete your project.

5. How do I ensure the success of my Final Year Project?

To ensure the success of your Final Year Project (BEng), it is crucial to have a well-defined plan and timeline for your project. Regular communication with your supervisor and peers can also help you stay on track and address any challenges that may arise. It is also important to manage your time effectively and stay organized throughout the project.