Find frequency given wavelength and distance travelled

In summary, the conversation discusses the Project Seafarer program, which aimed to transmit signals to submarines while they were submerged. The problem at hand involves determining the frequency and period of the radiations emitted by an antenna buried underground. Using the equations f=1/T and v=λf, the correct answer is found by assuming the wave speed, v, is equal to the speed of light, c. The question of whether this experiment was conducted in a vacuum is raised, but it is not explicitly stated in the problem.
MrMoose

Homework Statement

Project Seafarer was an ambitious program to construct an enormous antenna, buried underground on a site about 4000 square miles in area. Its purpose was to transmit signals to sub-marines while they were deeply submerged. If the effective wavelength was 1.0x10^4 Earth Radii, what would be (a) the frequency and (b) the period of the radiations emitted? Ordinarily electromagnetic radiations do not penetrate very far into conductors such as seawater.

Homework Equations

f = 1/T where:

f: frequency
T: period

v = λf where:

v: wave speed
λ: wave length
f: frequency

Mean Earth Radii: 6.37 x 10^6 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a lot of trouble with the wording of this problem. This is my thought process:

1. The site is 4000 square miles or ~ 63miles X 63 miles. I'm assuming the antenna is in the center of the site which would give it a radial coverage of 31.6 miles (50.855 km).

2. I think "1.0x10^4 Earth Radii" means 1.0x10^4 * Earth Radii so, λ = 6.37x10^10 m

3. Somehow use information from steps 1 and 2 to determine wave speed, but there's a few variables I don't know. For example, if I knew how long it took for the wave to travel 31.6 miles, I would be able to determine the wave speed. I'm stuck on this step.

4. Use f = v/λ to find the frequency

5. Use T = 1/f to find the period

Thanks in advance, MrMoose

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I just got the right answer. The wave speed, v, is the speed of light, c:

v = c

With this knowledge, you can move on to steps 4 and 5 and get the right answer.

My next question is... why? I though EM waves only travel at the speed of light through a vacuum. Should I have assumed that this experiment was conducted in a vacuum? I don't see how I would have known that.

1. What is the formula for finding frequency given wavelength and distance travelled?

The formula for finding frequency given wavelength and distance travelled is: frequency = speed of light / (wavelength x distance).

2. How do I convert units for wavelength and distance in this formula?

For the formula to work, the units for wavelength and distance must be consistent. If you have a wavelength in meters and distance in kilometers, convert the distance to meters before plugging it into the formula. You can use conversion factors or online unit converters for this.

3. Can this formula be used for any type of wave?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of wave, as long as the units are consistent. This includes electromagnetic waves such as light and radio waves, as well as mechanical waves like sound and water waves.

4. What is the speed of light used in this formula?

The speed of light used in this formula is the standard value of 299,792,458 meters per second, which is the speed of light in a vacuum. This value may change depending on the medium the wave is travelling through, but for most practical purposes, this value can be used.

5. How can I use this formula in practical applications?

This formula can be used in various scientific fields such as astronomy, telecommunications, and acoustics. It can be used to calculate the frequency of signals in communication systems, the wavelength of light from distant stars, and the pitch of sound waves in musical instruments. It is a useful tool in understanding and analyzing wave phenomena.