Find initial current and resistance in a circuit

In summary: The voltmeter measures the voltage at the clamps of the non-ideal voltage source (= 12 V battery) so: what comes out of the dashed box. Namely the 12 V minus the voltage drop over Rs, the internal resistance.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a battery of internal resistance 0.50 Ω connected to a resistor X, which initially has a temperature of 0 °C. When the switch is closed, the voltmeter reading drops from 12.0 V to 10.0 V and then gradually rises to 10.5 V. The conversation includes discussions on the observations and explanations for
moenste said:
i) 12 - 10 = 0.5 I → I = 4 A.

(ii) 12 = 4 (0.5 + R) → R = 2.5 Ω
Right.
moenste said:
or 12 - 10.5 = 0.5 I → I = 3 A
12 = 3 (0.5 + R) → R = 3.5
Right.
Do you conceptually understand what is happening here? You got the temperature part right. If you can explain the drop in voltage from 12V to 10V, you have understood the concept of internal resistance of a voltage source.

Likes moenste
Physics news on Phys.org
cnh1995 said:
Do you conceptually understand what is happening here? You got the temperature part right. If you can explain the drop in voltage from 12V to 10V, you have understood the concept of internal resistance of a voltage source.
The battery always has 12 V. Only the voltmeter changes from 10 V to 10.5 V.

And then we just use E = Ir + V and E = I (r + R), where E = 12 V, r = 0.5 Ohm and V is 10 V and 10.5 V.

moenste said:
The battery always has 12 V. Only the voltmeter changes from 10 V to 10.5 V.
Right. Internal resistance comes in series with the circuit and some voltage drop takes place across it.

Likes moenste