Find Integral values in a Quadratic equation

In summary, the question asks for the number of integral values of 'a' for which the quadratic equation (x + a)(x + 1991) + 1 = 0 has integral roots. Using the condition that the discriminant (1991 + a)^2 - 4(1991a + 1) must be the square of an integer, it can be shown that there are only two possible values for 'a' (1 and -1) that satisfy this condition. Therefore, there are only two integral values of 'a' for which the equation has integral roots.
addzy94

Homework Statement

The number of integral values of 'a' for which the quadratic equation (x + a) (x + 1991) + 1 = 0
has integral roots are:

Homework Equations

D = b² - 4ac

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was simplify the given equation and I got:

x² + (1991 + a)x + (1991a + 1) = 0

Now: (1991+a)² > 4(1991a + 1)

What do I do after this: Please help, I am not even sure that I am on the correct path.

Physics news on Phys.org
addzy94 said:

Homework Statement

The number of integral values of 'a' for which the quadratic equation (x + a) (x + 1991) + 1 = 0
has integral roots are:

Homework Equations

D = b² - 4ac

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was simplify the given equation and I got:

x² + (1991 + a)x + (1991a + 1) = 0

Now: (1991+a)² > 4(1991a + 1)

What do I do after this: Please help, I am not even sure that I am on the correct path.

Assume that ##b## and ##c## are the integer roots. Then,
$$(x+a)(x+1991)+1=(x+b)(x+c)$$
Substitute ##x=-b##, you should be able to take it from here.

I don't know how that would work. It's alright I got the answer. As both a and x are integers

(x + a)(x+1991) = -1

Thus (x + a) = 1 or -1

(x+1991) = -1 or 1

So we get two integral values for a. I would also like to know how to do it your way.

I think you are misunderstanding the question. Isn't it obvious that there will be an infinite number of such a?

Your "(1991+a)² > 4(1991a + 1)" is simply the condition that the roots be real numbers.

HallsofIvy said:
I think you are misunderstanding the question. Isn't it obvious that there will be an infinite number of such a?

There are indeed only two integer values of [itex]a[/itex] which ensure that [itex]x[/itex] is an integer, but the OP's argument in post #3 doesn't actually prove that.

Your "(1991+a)² > 4(1991a + 1)" is simply the condition that the roots be real numbers.

Instead the condition the OP needs is that [itex](1991 + a)^2 - 4(1991 a + 1)[/itex] must be the square of an integer.

pasmith said:
There are indeed only two integer values of [itex]a[/itex] which ensure that [itex]x[/itex] is an integer, but the OP's argument in post #3 doesn't actually prove that.

There can only be two integers whose multiplication can result in -1. That is 1 and -1.

In my previous post I substitute 1 and minus -1 alternatively for the two integer values (x+a) and (x+1991) which are integer values themselves, thus proving it.

1. How do you find the integral values in a quadratic equation?

To find the integral values in a quadratic equation, you must first set the equation equal to zero and then use the quadratic formula or factorization method to solve for the roots. Once you have the roots, you can determine if they are integers by checking if they can be expressed as whole numbers without any decimals or fractions.

2. Can a quadratic equation have multiple integral values?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have multiple integral values or roots. This means that there can be more than one value for x that makes the equation equal to zero. For example, the equation x^2 - 4 = 0 has two integral values, 2 and -2.

3. How do you know if an integral value is a solution to a quadratic equation?

An integral value is a solution to a quadratic equation if it makes the equation equal to zero when substituted for x. In other words, when you plug in the integral value for x, the resulting equation should equal zero. If it does, then that value is a solution to the quadratic equation.

4. Can you use any method to find integral values in a quadratic equation?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to find integral values in a quadratic equation, such as the quadratic formula, factoring, completing the square, or graphing. However, some methods may be more efficient or easier to use depending on the specific equation.

5. Are there any special cases when finding integral values in a quadratic equation?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding integral values in a quadratic equation. For example, if the quadratic equation has imaginary roots, then there are no real integral values. Also, if the equation has a perfect square trinomial, then the integral values will be the same number twice.