Find out kinetic Energy using Rutherford Formula

Juli
Homework Statement
A narrow bundle of protons of uniform energy hits vertically on a 4µm
thick gold foil. The fraction ##\eta##=1.35. 10-3 of the impacting protons are distributed around the angle ##\theta##=60° scattered in the angle interval ##d\theta##.
What kinetic energy do the incident protons have?
##\omega##
Relevant Equations
Rutherford's diffraction equation
$$ \frac{dn}{nd\Omega} = \frac{Z^2e^4DN}{(16\pi \epsilon_0)^2E_0 \sin^4(\frac{\theta}{2})}$$ with
$$ d\Omega = \sin\theta d\theta d\phi $$
Hello everyone,

I am working on this problem and I think I almost solved it, but then I noticed, that I do not know what values I have for dn, n and dθ.
Can anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, per forum rules, you must show what you have done.
Second, the equation you show is not well-formed LaTeX, so does not render correctly. It's complicated enough (and I could not find a link to this equation) that I don't feel confident in trying to correct it.

Third, your equation that follows "with" looks to be incorrect, as well. Is this what you were trying to write?
$$d\Omega = sin\theta \frac{d\theta}{d\phi}$$
If so, I don't understand what it means. There's a differential on the left side and a derivative on the right side. If the left side is a differential, the right side should be, as well.
Juli said:
but then I noticed, that I do not know what values I have for dn, n and dθ.
As a guess, dn is the differential of n (i.e., a small change in the number of particles), n is the number of particles, and dθ is a small change in the angle.

Mark44 said:
First off, per forum rules, you must show what you have done.
Second, the equation you show is not well-formed LaTeX, so does not render correctly. It's complicated enough (and I could not find a link to this equation) that I don't feel confident in trying to correct it.

Third, your equation that follows "with" looks to be incorrect, as well. Is this what you were trying to write?
$$d\Omega = sin\theta \frac{d\theta}{d\phi}$$
If so, I don't understand what it means. There's a differential on the left side and a derivative on the right side. If the left side is a differential, the right side should be, as well.
As a guess, dn is the differential of n (i.e., a small change in the number of particles), n is the number of particles, and dθ is a small change in the angle.
Thanks for your reply, I was working on the rendering the whole time, because I see, that it doesn't work. But I know that my Latex code is correct. I checked it in an editor.
Maybe I can upload pictures instead.

dn is the Number of particles scattered at the angle ##d\Omega##
n is the number of particles that were shot at the gold foil

Like i said, I could do the rest of the problem, but obviously I have to figure out these two parameters with the help of the information given in the text to solve the problem, since I have so solve it for the kinetic energy.

Juli said:
Thanks for your reply, I was working on the rendering the whole time, because I see, that it doesn't work. But I know that my Latex code is correct. I checked it in an editor.
Maybe I can upload pictures instead.

dn is the Number of particles scattered at the angle ##d\Omega##
n is the number of particles that were shot at the gold foil

Like i said, I could do the rest of the problem, but obviously I have to figure out these two parameters with the help of the information given in the text to solve the problem, since I have so solve it for the kinetic energy.

I'll try again:
## \frac{dn}{nd\Omega} = \frac{Z^2e^4DN}{(16\pi \epsilon_0)^2E_0 sin^4(\frac{\theta}{2})} ##

with ## d\Omega = sin\theta d\theta d\phi ##

But thee formula is just for the understanding of the problem and to know what I'm talking about. I am just wondering how I am supposed to know how many incident particles there where. Is there a general amout that you would just assume? Because the text just says "bundle of protons". And these "bundle of protons" equals n.

Juli said:
I do not know what values I have for dn, n and dθ
You do not need dn and n separately, just the fraction dn/n. What is the relationship between that and η?
dθ seems to be a given, so can remain in the answer if necessary, but I expect it will cancel.

In order to get a numerical value for the energy of the protons, I think you need to know the numerical value of ##d \theta##. Hope I'm not overlooking something.

##d \Omega## will include all possible values of ##\phi##.

I think I got it now. Thanks to both of you. I think by definition ##\eta## equals ##\frac{dn}{nd\theta}## which you will get after integrating over ##d\phi##.
Sometimes I find it a bit hard to understand which values are meant by the describing texts, which is obviously is a big part of the problem solving.

Hello everyone,
I was too confidet, I thought i figured it out. But again, my solution massively differs from the books solution and I checked everything so many times and can't figure out where my mistake is.
I tried to write down what I did understandably. I'm greatful for anyone who take the time to look over it!

Attachments

• photo_2023-12-31_12-42-44.jpg
    photo_2023-12-31_12-42-44.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 23
I don't understand why you integrated over ##\phi## the way you did.

The picture I have in mind is this
1704039636004.png

The total solid angle subtended by the yellow ring would be the integration of ##d \Omega = \sin
\theta d\theta d\phi## over ##\phi##.

If you give me the numerical answer that you are supposed to get, then maybe I can work back to get the intended interpretation of the wording of the problem.

Likes PhDeezNutz and MatinSAR
Juli said:
I think I got it now. Thanks to both of you. I think by definition ##\eta## equals ##\frac{dn}{nd\theta}## which you will get after integrating over ##d\phi##.
The definition above would be better, IMO, if it were written like this: ##\eta = \frac 1 n \frac{dn} {d\theta}##. I'm assuming that the last part is the derivative of n with respect to ##\theta##. Under normal circumstances derivatives like this shouldn't be treated as fractions although this can be done when one is solving differential equations.

Hey, thank you for your reply. I think I found out that the book made a mistake and my solution is right. If you have further interest in discussing the solution, let me know. Otherwise, thanks a lot again, I'm good now :)

Your solution makes no sense to me.
As @TSny writes, ##d\Omega## is the slice of the spherical surface in yellow in post #2. I.e., ##=2\pi\sin(\theta)d\theta##. No other integration is necessary.

Seems to me that the question cannot be solved numerically without a value for ##d\theta##, as @TSny pointed out in post #8 in the earlier thread.

Btw, please do not create multiple threads for the same problem.

Done. :smile:

Likes Juli

What is the Rutherford Formula for kinetic energy?

The Rutherford Formula is used to calculate the kinetic energy of a particle. It is given by the equation: KE = (1/2)mv^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

How is the Rutherford Formula used to find kinetic energy?

To find the kinetic energy using the Rutherford Formula, you need to know the mass and velocity of the particle. Simply plug these values into the formula KE = (1/2)mv^2 and calculate the result.

What are the units of kinetic energy in the Rutherford Formula?

The units of kinetic energy in the Rutherford Formula are joules (J). Kinetic energy is a measure of the energy an object possesses due to its motion, and it is expressed in joules, which is the standard unit of energy.

Can the Rutherford Formula be used for any type of particle?

Yes, the Rutherford Formula can be used to find the kinetic energy of any type of particle, as long as you know the mass and velocity of the particle. It is a general formula that applies to all particles in motion.

Is the Rutherford Formula accurate for calculating kinetic energy?

Yes, the Rutherford Formula is accurate for calculating kinetic energy as long as the mass and velocity of the particle are known. It is a widely used formula in physics and provides reliable results for determining the kinetic energy of a particle.