Find the focus and directrix of the parabola

In summary, the focus of the parabola is located at (5,-2) and the directrix is x=-3. Additional work may be needed to confirm the accuracy of the answer.
louie3006

Homework Statement

find the focus and directrix of the parabola:
(y+2)^2 = 16(x-1)

Homework Equations

(y-k)^2= 4a(x-h)
focus: ( h+a,k)
vertex: (h,k)

The Attempt at a Solution

k=-2,h=1,a=16/4=4!,
vertex at (1,-2)
focus ( 5,-2)
does that mean that i solved the problem or do i still to do more work to reach the final answer? thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, did you find the focus and directrix?

i think i did , don't you think so ?

The directrix is a line. You don't have any line equations in your answer.

directrix : x=h-a
= 1-4
= -3 ? how about this, does look right to you, or am i wrong ?

Related to Find the focus and directrix of the parabola

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a type of curve that is formed when a plane intersects with a cone at a specific angle. It is a symmetrical shape that resembles the letter "U".

What is the focus of a parabola?

The focus of a parabola is a fixed point on the interior of the parabola that is equidistant from all points on the curve. It is the point where all of the reflected rays converge.

How do you find the focus of a parabola?

To find the focus of a parabola, you can use the formula (h,k+p), where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola and p is the distance between the vertex and the focus. You can also use the focus-directrix property, where the focus is located on the axis of symmetry at a distance of p/2 from the vertex.

What is the directrix of a parabola?

The directrix of a parabola is a fixed line that is perpendicular to the axis of symmetry and is located on the exterior of the parabola. It is the line that is equidistant from all points on the curve.

How do you find the directrix of a parabola?

To find the directrix of a parabola, you can use the formula y = k - p, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola and p is the distance between the vertex and the focus. You can also use the focus-directrix property, where the directrix is located on the axis of symmetry at a distance of -p/2 from the vertex.