Find the force of attraction for a particle outside sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a sphere with two spherical cavities and a small particle located on the x-axis a distance d from the center of the sphere. The problem requires finding the force of attraction on the particle, which can be calculated by considering the force exerted by a fully filled sphere and the force exerted by the two small spheres. The mass of the fully filled sphere is M, while the mass of each small sphere is 1/8 of M. This is due to the halving of the radius of the small spheres. The problem can be solved by using the equations for force, distance, and cosine, and by using the concept of similar objects.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R contains two spherical cavities. Each cavity has a radius of R/2 and touches both the outside surface of the sphere and its center as shown. The mass of a similar sphere without the cavities is M. Find the force of attraction on a small particle of mass m located on the x - axis a distance d > R from the center of the sphere.

Homework Equations

g=GMm/R2

The Attempt at a Solution

Will upload picture and solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
IMG_16851.jpg
IMG_16841.jpg

I am sorry that I don't quite understand your work. You defined g = GMm/R^2, g is a quantity with unit of force, but in your work, g seems to be acceleration.

Here I have an idea:
$$ \frac{GMm}{d^2} - 2\frac{GMm}{8r^2}cosθ = ma =F $$
The first term is the force by a fully filled sphere and the second term is the force by two small spheres. As the radius is halved, mass is 1/8. r is the distance between the small sphere and the particle.
After that, you can write
$$ r^2 = d^2 + (\frac R 2)^2$$
$$ cosθ = \frac {d}{\sqrt{(\frac R 2)^2+d^2}} $$

You have enough information for the solution. I hope it helps

Likes Vitani11
Okay. I see how the mass is 1/8 when the radius becomes 1/2 by writing out the equation for density. But why can you just put an 8 in the denominator? I know it makes sense conceptually, but I mean mathematically (without introducing density into the equation)

PS. the drawing should have the r vectors pointing towards the center of each small sphere from d

Vitani11 said:
Okay. I see how the mass is 1/8 when the radius becomes 1/2 by writing out the equation for density. But why can you just put an 8 in the denominator? I know it makes sense conceptually, but I mean mathematically (without introducing density into the equation)

Um.. I mean
$$ \frac{Gm\frac M 8 }{r^2}$$
You can directly know it is 1/8 by the argument learned in math class. For similar objects ,
$$ \frac {V_1}{V_2} = (\frac {l_1}{l_2})^3$$

Okay then. Thank you, that helped

Likes Mayan Fung
Vitani11 said:
Okay then. Thank you, that helped
No problem

1. What is the formula for finding the force of attraction for a particle outside a sphere?

The formula for finding the force of attraction for a particle outside a sphere is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

2. How does the distance between the particle and the sphere affect the force of attraction?

The force of attraction is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the particle and the sphere. This means that as the distance increases, the force of attraction decreases.

3. What is the role of the mass of the particle and the sphere in determining the force of attraction?

The mass of the particle and the sphere play a major role in determining the force of attraction. The larger the masses, the greater the force of attraction. This is because the force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the objects.

4. Can the force of attraction between the particle and the sphere be negative?

No, the force of attraction between the particle and the sphere cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, indicating an attractive force between the two objects.

5. How does the force of attraction for a particle outside a sphere differ from that of a particle inside a sphere?

The force of attraction for a particle outside a sphere is calculated using the formula F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, while the force of attraction for a particle inside a sphere is calculated using the formula F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2 * (r/R)^3, where R is the radius of the sphere. This is because the distance between the particle and the sphere is different in each scenario.