Find the hysteresis loss in the magnetic material

In summary, the conversation discussed the hysteresis energy loss and its relation to maximum flux density, as well as the calculations for Ph and Kh. The final answer for Ph when flux density is 0.8 T, frequency is 60 Hz, and volume is 40 cm^3 was confirmed to be 0.376 W.
Fatima Hasan
Homework Statement
A sample of a magnetic material is known to have a hysteresis energy loss of 300 joules per cycle per cubic meter when the maximum flux density is 1.2 T . Find the hysteresis loss in the magnetic material if the flux density is 0.8 T , the volume of the magnetic material is 40 cm^3 , and the frequency of operation is 60 Hz . The Steinmetz constant is 1.6.
Relevant Equations
Equations are attached below.
5E%7B-6%7D%29*0.8%5E%7B1.6%7D%20%5C%5C%5C%5C%3D156.gif

That's what I've got , but I want to confirm my answer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Attachments

• Equations.gif
    Equations.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 321
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the hysteresis energy loss is 300 joules per cycle per cubic meter when the maximum flux density is 1.2 T , the area of the hysteresis loop should be 300 at maximum flux density is 1.2 T, which means that just A=300.
:flashlight:

alan123hk said:
Since the hysteresis energy loss is 300 joules per cycle per cubic meter when the maximum flux density is 1.2 T , the area of the hysteresis loop should be 300 at maximum flux density is 1.2 T, which means that just A=300.
:flashlight:
So ,
Ph = A *V *f
V = 1 m^3
f = 1 Hz
A = 300 joules/ m^3 cycle
Ph = 300 W
Ph = Kh * f * Bmax^n * V
300 = Kh * 1*1.2^(1.6)*1
Solve for Kh = 224.09
Ph when the flux density = 0.8 T , f=60 Hz and V = 40 cm^3 :
Ph = 224.09 * 60 * (0.8)^1.6 * 40*10^(-3)
Ph = 0.376 W
Am I right now ?

Yes, I agree that Ph = 224.09 * 60 * (0.8)^1.6 * 40*10^(-6) = 0.376W is correct.

Likes Fatima Hasan
alan123hk said:
Yes, I agree that Ph = 224.09 * 60 * (0.8)^1.6 * 40*10^(-6) = 0.376W is correct.
Thank you for your reply .

Related to Find the hysteresis loss in the magnetic material

1. What is hysteresis loss?

Hysteresis loss refers to the energy that is lost when a magnetic material is magnetized and demagnetized. It is caused by the resistance of the material to change its magnetic state and results in a dissipation of energy in the form of heat.

2. How is hysteresis loss measured?

Hysteresis loss is typically measured using a hysteresis loop, which is a plot of the material's magnetization against the applied magnetic field. The area enclosed by the loop represents the hysteresis loss.

3. What factors affect hysteresis loss?

The amount of hysteresis loss in a magnetic material is influenced by factors such as the composition and structure of the material, the strength of the applied magnetic field, and the frequency of the magnetic field. Additionally, the shape and size of the material can also affect hysteresis loss.

4. How does hysteresis loss impact magnetic materials?

Hysteresis loss can have both positive and negative impacts on magnetic materials. On one hand, it allows for the use of magnetic materials in devices that require energy dissipation, such as inductors. On the other hand, excessive hysteresis loss can result in wasted energy and reduced efficiency in these devices.

5. Can hysteresis loss be reduced or eliminated?

Hysteresis loss can be reduced by using materials with lower hysteresis coefficients, such as soft magnetic materials. Additionally, techniques such as laminating and annealing can also help decrease hysteresis loss. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as it is an inherent property of magnetic materials.