Find the minimal polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimal polynomial of \frac{\sqrt{3}}{1+2^{1/3}} over Q by approaching it as a sixth degree extension. By plugging in x as a general degree six polynomial and solving for b, d, and f, a numerical solution does not seem to have a rational solution. Another approach suggested is starting from the equation x=\frac{\sqrt{31}}{1+2^{1/3}} and rearranging to find the minimal polynomial.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the minimal polynomial of [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{1+2^{1/3}}[/tex] over Q

we'll call this x

Homework Equations

I wish I knew some :(

The Attempt at a Solution

By taking powers of x, I was able to show that the extension Q(x) has degree six (since 21/3 and sqrt(3) are both independently inside Q(x)) and hence the minimal polynomial has degree six. So then I took a general degree six polynomial, plugged in x, and got six equations in six unknowns. This is less than elegant, and I ended with a system of equations (luckily three of the six unknown coefficients were zero):

255b + 261d + 595f = -171
150b + 222d + 460f = -144
105b + 159d + 375f = -108

solving for b,d,f. An attempt at a numerical solution doesn't convince me this has a rational solution, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a computational error preceding this. Is there a better way to do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about starting from the equation x=sqrt(31)+2^(1/3)? So (x-sqrt(31))^3=2. Expand the left side and move all of the terms involving sqrt(31) to one side and everything else to the other. Now square.

Sorry, you posted before I fixed the latex. Different value for x

EDIT: Same principle worked though. Thanks a ton

Fast, aren't I? Same idea. x=sqrt(3)/(1+2^(1/3)) -> x2^(1/3)=sqrt(3)-x. Cube, rearrange and then square.

Related to Find the minimal polynomial

1. What is the minimal polynomial?

The minimal polynomial is the monic polynomial of lowest degree that has a given number as a root. In other words, it is the smallest polynomial that can be used to express a given number as a root.

2. How do you find the minimal polynomial?

To find the minimal polynomial, you can use a variety of methods such as the rational root theorem, the factor theorem, or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve manipulating the coefficients and using the given number as a root to determine the minimal polynomial.

3. Why is finding the minimal polynomial important?

Finding the minimal polynomial is important in various areas of mathematics, particularly in algebra and number theory. It allows us to express a given number as a root of a polynomial, which can help in solving polynomial equations and understanding the properties of the given number.

4. Can the minimal polynomial have complex coefficients?

Yes, the minimal polynomial can have complex coefficients. In fact, in some cases, the minimal polynomial can only be expressed using complex coefficients. This is because the minimal polynomial is unique for a given number, and some numbers can only be expressed using complex numbers as roots.

5. Is the minimal polynomial always unique?

Yes, the minimal polynomial is always unique for a given number. However, the method used to find it may differ depending on the given number and the approach taken. In some cases, there may be multiple minimal polynomials that can be used to express a given number as a root.