Contour integral using residue theorem

In summary: I'll have to remember that for future problems.In summary, the student attempted to solve a complex integral equation but was unsuccessful. He appears to have made a mistake in calculating the residue of 0.
dykuma

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the following integral
upload_2016-12-4_1-19-56.png

Homework Equations

upload_2016-12-4_1-22-35.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied the above relations getting that
upload_2016-12-4_1-23-28.png

Then I was able to factor the function inside the integral getting that
upload_2016-12-4_1-25-22.png

From here I should be able to get a solution by simply finding the poles of the function that are inside the bounds of this integral (in this case the unit circle), using that poles to find a residue, and then summing the residue's and multiplying them by 2πi.

In this case, I see four poles that are "inside" the unit circle: z= -1, z = -1/3 , z = 0, and z = 1. z= - 3 is outside of the unit circle.

However, when I do this, I get a solution of -8π/9, when I know that the solution should be 2π/9. In fact, the residue of 0 comes back as undefined, and -1 , 1 as zero.

Clearly I have done something wrong, though I am not sure what exactly.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am rusty in complex analysis and contour integration but what do you mean when you say that the residue of 0 comes back undefined? Maybe you do a mistake on calculating the residue of 0? Can you show us your work on how you calculate all the residues?

Are you sure there are 4 poles inside the unit circle? What's a pole? Also when you make the substitution ## z=e^{it} ## the integral becomes a closed contour integral (with a circle through it). The substitutions in these are very messy and when you suspect something is wrong, first thing you should do is double, triple check those substitutions.

z= -1, z = 1
are not poles they have residue zero
z=0 is a pole of order 2
$$\operatorname{Res}=\lim_{z\rightarrow0}\dfrac{\operatorname{d}}{\operatorname{dx}}z^2\operatorname{f}(z)$$

Likes dykuma
Thanks everyone! I forgot about that sneaky aspect of poles being at a higher order.

1. What is the residue theorem in contour integration?

The residue theorem is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows us to calculate contour integrals of complex functions. It states that the value of a contour integral around a closed path is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the contour.

2. How do I find the residues of a complex function?

To find the residues of a complex function, we first need to determine the poles of the function. These are the points where the function is undefined or infinite. Then, we can use the formula Res(f,z0) = limz→z0 (z-z0)f(z) to calculate the residue at each pole.

3. Can the residue theorem be used to evaluate any contour integral?

No, the residue theorem can only be used to evaluate contour integrals around closed paths that contain singularities (poles) of the function. If the contour does not enclose any singularities, the integral will be equal to zero.

4. What is the relationship between the residue theorem and Cauchy's integral formula?

Cauchy's integral formula is a special case of the residue theorem, where the contour integral is evaluated around a circle and the function is analytic inside the circle. In this case, the residue theorem simplifies to Cauchy's formula: f(z0) = 1/2πi ∫|z-z0=r f(z)/z-z0 dz, where r is the radius of the circle.

5. What are the applications of the residue theorem in science and engineering?

The residue theorem has many applications in various fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, control theory, and physics. It is commonly used to solve integrals that arise in the analysis of circuits, mechanical systems, and electromagnetic fields. It also plays a crucial role in the study of complex variables and their applications in fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics.