Finding 3 currents in 3 different branches

• Thread starter judas_priest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary: I should point out that there is an analysis method, called mesh analysis, that assumes that...In summary,has to be done using KVL and KCL ONLY
judas_priest
Has to be done using KVL and KCL ONLY

The attempt at a solution

I first wrote down the KCL for the node 1 i.e the node above the 18 ohm resistor.

Here's what I get
5.6A - ia - ib + 0.1vx - ic - 2A = 0

Here, substituting for 0.1vx as 1.8ia, I get:

5.6A + 0.8ia - ib - ic - 2A = 0

Substituting V/R for each current, I get;

5.6A + 0.8V/18 - V/R (How do I find this R?) - V/9 -2A = 0

So that's 2 unknowns 1 equation.

How do I find R to substitute in the equation and get the value of V, which will then allow me to find the currents in each branch?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
If you choose to use the expression Vx = iA*18Ω, why not use this expression for Vx to find the current iC (via Ohm's law) and replace it in your KCL equation? How many unknowns will you be left with in your KCL equation?

gneill said:
If you choose to use the expression Vx = iA*18Ω, why not use this expression for Vx to find the current iC (via Ohm's law) and replace it in your KCL equation? How many unknowns will you be left with in your KCL equation?

you mean
iA*18 = ic*9 ?
And then substitute ic in KCL as iA*18 /9 i.e 2iA?

I'll still be left with two unknowns in that case. iA and ib

The equation will look like this:
5.6 + 0.8 iA = ib + 2 iA + 2

judas_priest said:
you mean
iA*18 = ic*9 ?

And then substitute ic in KCL as iA*18 /9 i.e 2iA?

I'll still be left with two unknowns in that case. iA and ib

The equation will look like this:
5.6 + 0.8 iA = ib + 2 iA + 2

Why not replace the Vx in the controlled source, too? ib depends on Vx.

gneill said:
Why not replace the Vx in the controlled source, too? ib depends on Vx.

I didn't quite get you.
Could you elaborate?

judas_priest said:
I didn't quite get you.
Could you elaborate?

ib is due to a controlled source. The controlled source current has a constant multiplied by Vx. Replace ib by the controlled source expression, and replace its Vx with your chosen expression.

gneill said:
ib is due to a controlled source. The controlled source current has a constant multiplied by Vx. Replace ib by the controlled source expression, and replace its Vx with your chosen expression.

For the dependent source, I'll get i as 1.8 iA. I don't see how to relate ib to anything. How do I replace ib by the controlled source expression?

judas_priest said:
For the dependent source, I'll get i as 1.8 iA. I don't see how to relate ib to anything. How do I replace ib by the controlled source expression?

ib is determined by the controlled source. ib = -0.1Vx. You've said that the controlled source current is 1.8 iA...

gneill said:
ib is determined by the controlled source. ib = -0.1Vx. You've said that the controlled source current is 1.8 iA...

How is ib = -0.1Vx? Do the magnitudes really match? Or are we just equating with opposite signs because they're in opposite directions?
I'm sorry if I sound like I'm missing out on some very basic concept.
Please help me out with this.

The current produced by the source cannot be different from the current in the branch... it produces the branch current. They must be the same. The only thing to be wary of is the chosen direction for the branch current variable. Adjust the sign to compensate for the fact that the source is driving current "against" the direction of the labeled current.

gneill said:
The current produced by the source cannot be different from the current in the branch... it produces the branch current. They must be the same. The only thing to be wary of is the chosen direction for the branch current variable. Adjust the sign to compensate for the fact that the source is driving current "against" the direction of the labeled current.

Okay, so two currents in a branch in opposite directions are always equal in magnitude?

judas_priest said:
Okay, so two currents in a branch in opposite directions are always equal in magnitude?

Sure, since they both describe the same current. It's just their chosen orientation that is different (the direction of the arrow describing the assumed current direction).

There is only one current in the branch. It's been assigned the variable name ib thanks to the labeling on the diagram. That branch consists of a current source. That current source produces current 0.1Vx. Noting the direction associated with the current variable ib as compared with the direction of the source, we conclude that ib = -0.1Vx.

(I should point out that there is an analysis method, called mesh analysis, that assumes that the current in a branch shared by two loops can be decomposed into two separate currents, each contributed by a loop. In the end, though, there's only one physical current flowing in a given branch which happens to be equal to the sum of the currents that were invented for purposes of analysis)

Likes 1 person

Related to Finding 3 currents in 3 different branches

1. How do I find the three currents in three different branches?

There are several methods to find three currents in three different branches, depending on the circuit configuration. One commonly used method is using Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node. By setting up equations using this law and solving them simultaneously, you can find the three currents.

2. What is the significance of finding three currents in three different branches?

Finding three currents in three different branches is important in circuit analysis as it helps determine the flow of electricity through different parts of the circuit. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and performance of the circuit and can aid in troubleshooting and optimizing the design.

3. Can I use Ohm's Law to find the three currents in three different branches?

Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance, can be used to find the three currents in three different branches in certain circuits. However, in more complex circuits, other laws and principles such as Kirchhoff's Laws may need to be used in conjunction with Ohm's Law.

4. What are the units for the three currents in three different branches?

The units for current are typically measured in amperes (A) in the SI system. However, in some cases, milliamperes (mA) or microamperes (μA) may be used for smaller currents. These units represent the amount of charge flowing through a point in the circuit per unit time.

5. Can I use a multimeter to find the three currents in three different branches?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to measure the current in each branch of a circuit. However, it is important to note that a multimeter may only measure the total current in a branch and not the individual currents. To find the individual currents, you may need to use other methods such as Kirchhoff's Laws or Ohm's Law.