Finding 8 Relations on a Set of 3 Elements with the Same Symmetric Closure

In summary, the problem is to show that if a set has 3 elements, there are 8 relations on that set that all have the same symmetric closure. The approach is to start with a symmetric relation on the set and then delete elements to get the 8 different relations. Using permutation and combinations can help with finding the 8 relations.
MrWarlock616

Homework Statement

Show that if a set has 3 elements, then we can find 8 relations on A that all have the same symmetric closure.

Homework Equations

Symmetric closure ##R^* = R \cup R^{-1} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

If the symmetric closures of n relations are the same then we have,

## R_1 \cup R_1^{-1} = R_2 \cup R_2^{-1} = ... = R_n \cup R_n^{-1} ##

I have to prove n=8 for |A| = 3

Also, ##R_1##, ##R_2##,...,##R_n## can't be symmetric. A friend told me to use power sets but I don't see how that applies here.

Do I have to write down all possible relations that can occur from A={a,b,c} or is there a better way to prove this one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MrWarlock616 said:

Homework Statement

Show that if a set has 3 relations, then we can find 8 relations on A that all have the same symmetric closure.

Homework Equations

Symmetric closure ##R^* = R \cup R^{-1} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

If the symmetric closures of n relations are the same then we have,

## R_1 \cup R_1^{-1} = R_2 \cup R_2^{-1} = ... = R_n \cup R_n^{-1} ##

I have to prove n=8 for |A| = 3

Also, ##R_1##, ##R_2##,...,##R_n## can't be symmetric. A friend told me to use power sets but I don't see how that applies here.

Do I have to write down all possible relations that can occur from A={a,b,c} or is there a better way to prove this one?

Any help would be appreciated.

I would imagine a symmetric relation on A and then try to picture how you could delete elements of the relation to get the 8 different ##R_i##. Suppose the relation you start with is the one where all of the elements of A are related to each other? That gives you lots of options. I think you can find more than 8.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Sorry I wrote 3 relations instead of 3 elements in the question.

This problem has appeared twice in previous years exams. My gut tells me to use permutation and combinations but I've forgot most of it.

1. What is the meaning of "symmetric closure" in relation to a set of 3 elements?

The symmetric closure of a relation on a set of elements is the smallest symmetric relation that contains the original relation. In other words, it is the addition of any missing pairs to make the relation symmetric.

2. How do you find 8 relations on a set of 3 elements with the same symmetric closure?

To find 8 relations on a set of 3 elements with the same symmetric closure, you can start by listing all the possible pairs of elements in the set. Then, you can add any additional pairs needed to make the relation symmetric until you have a total of 8 different relations.

3. Why is it important to find relations with the same symmetric closure?

Finding relations with the same symmetric closure is important because it helps to ensure that the properties of symmetry are maintained. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in graph theory and coding theory.

4. Can a set of 3 elements have more than 8 relations with the same symmetric closure?

Yes, it is possible for a set of 3 elements to have more than 8 relations with the same symmetric closure. The number of relations will depend on the specific elements and how they are paired to create the relations.

5. Is there a specific method for finding 8 relations with the same symmetric closure on a set of 3 elements?

There is no specific method for finding 8 relations with the same symmetric closure on a set of 3 elements. However, one approach could be to systematically list out all the possible pairs of elements and then add any missing pairs to make the relation symmetric until you have a total of 8 different relations.