Finding arc length of polar Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the arc length of a polar curve using the integral formula for arc length. The attempt at a solution involves simplifying the integral and using trigonometric substitution to evaluate it. The final integral is written as $\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{162 + 162\cos\theta}\,d\theta$, which requires a half angle substitution to solve.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of polar curve 9+9cosθ

Homework Equations

L = integral of sqrt(r^2 + (dr/dθ)^2 dθ
dr/dθ = -9sinθ
r = 9+9cosθ

)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Simplifying the integral
r^2 = (9+9cosθ^2) = 81 +162cosθ + 81cos^2(θ)
(dr/dθ)^2 = 81sin^2(θ)

r^2 + (dr/dθ)^2 = 81 + 162cosθ + 81cos^2(θ) + 81sin^2(θ)
81sin^2(θ) + 81cos^2(θ) = 81

162 + 162cosθ = r^2 + (dr/dθ)^2

now I have to take the integral of the squareroot...

Integral of sqrt(162 + 162cosθ)dθ
chain rule..?
(2/3)(162+162cosθ)^3/2*(162θ + 162sinθ)

Integrated between 0 and 2pi...?
which would lead to a crazy high number that I got as 3957501.966.
Anyone know where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for one thing, your indefinite integration is wrong. You can't use the power formula because you don't have the proper du outside the square root. You need to use a trig substitution instead.

For the other thing please use LaTeX...just a suggestion.

Sorry i'll learn LaTex soon, in a bit of a pinch at the moment.

is the final integral end up being
integral of(162 + 162cos(theta) ?

PsychonautQQ said:
Sorry i'll learn LaTex soon, in a bit of a pinch at the moment.

is the final integral end up being
integral of(162 + 162cos(theta) ?

Yes, a half angle sub will help to evaluate it.

CAF123 said:
Yes, a half angle sub will help to evaluate it.

Why use a half angle sub? Doesn't it just come out to 162θ+162sinθ between 0 and 2∏?

PsychonautQQ said:
Why use a half angle sub? Doesn't it just come out to 162θ+162sinθ between 0 and 2∏?
Sorry,I misread what you wrote: it should have been $$\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{162 + 162\cos\theta}\,d\theta,$$ which you will need to use a trig sub to evaluate. Factor out the 162 from the sqrt first.

1. What is the formula for finding arc length of a polar curve?

The formula for finding arc length of a polar curve is S = ∫√(r^2 + (dr/dθ)^2) dθ, where r is the polar equation of the curve and dr/dθ is the derivative of r with respect to θ.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding arc length?

The limits of integration for finding arc length of a polar curve depend on the interval of θ values that cover the desired arc. These limits can be determined by graphing the polar curve and identifying the θ values at the beginning and end of the arc.

3. Can the arc length of a polar curve be negative?

No, the arc length of a polar curve cannot be negative. It represents the distance along the curve, so it can only have positive values.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the arc length of a polar curve?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when finding the arc length of a polar curve. The first is when the curve has a loop, in which case the limits of integration will need to be split and the formula will need to be applied separately to each portion of the curve. The second special case is when the curve has a cusp, in which case the derivative dr/dθ will be discontinuous and the formula will need to be modified.

5. How is finding arc length of a polar curve useful in real-world applications?

Finding arc length of a polar curve is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to calculate the length of a curved object or path, such as the orbit of a planet or the shape of a rollercoaster track. It is also used in optimization problems to find the shortest or most efficient path between two points on a curve.