Polar Arc Length: Solve Integral of r=6cos6θ

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the arc length of one of the leaves of the polar curve r= 6 cos 6θ. The formula L = ∫sqrt(r^2 + (dr/dθ)^2) dθ is used, but simplification leads to an integral that cannot be solved analytically. The use of the Complete Elliptic Integral of the Second Kind, denoted by E(m), is suggested as a possible solution, but the individual is unsure if there is an easier method to solve the integral.
spinnaker

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of one of the leaves of the polar curve r= 6 cos 6θ.

Homework Equations

L = ∫sqrt(r^2 + (dr/dθ)^2) dθ
(I use twice that since the length from 0 to π/12 is only half the petal)

The Attempt at a Solution

I seem to get an integral that can't be solved:

L = 2∫sqrt((6 cos 6θ)^2 + (-36 sin 6θ)^2) dθ
= 2∫sqrt(36 cos^2 6θ + 1296 sin^2 6θ) dθ

I simplify the cos^2 and sin^2 to get

L = 2∫sqrt(36 + 1260 sin^6θ) dθ
= 12∫sqrt(1+35 sin^2 6θ) dθ

but that's where I'm stuck. I have no idea how to do that integral. Any help would be sincerely appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
But there's got to be some sort of trick to make this easy to work with - nothing in the notes or textbook has this Elliptic Integral thing in it.

Any ideas?

1. What is the polar arc length?

The polar arc length is the length of a curve in polar coordinates, which is defined as the distance along the curve from a certain point to another point on the curve.

2. How do you solve for the integral of r=6cos6θ?

To solve for the integral of r=6cos6θ, we can use the formula for polar arc length, which is ∫√(r^2 + (dr/dθ)^2)dθ. In this case, r=6cos6θ, so we can substitute this into the formula and solve for the integral.

3. What is the process for finding the polar arc length?

The process for finding the polar arc length involves using the formula ∫√(r^2 + (dr/dθ)^2)dθ and substituting the given polar equation for r. Then, we can solve the integral to find the polar arc length.

4. Can the polar arc length be negative?

No, the polar arc length cannot be negative. It represents a physical distance and therefore cannot be negative.

5. What does the value of the polar arc length represent?

The value of the polar arc length represents the distance along the curve from one point to another. It can also be thought of as the length of the curve in polar coordinates.