Finding d^2y/dx^2 in terms of F(x,y)

• Thread starter diff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, Homework Equations states that dy/dx= -Fx/Fy. I tried to differentiate this expression again w.r.t. x using the chain rule & partial differntiation, but I couldn't figure it out. So, I will need to do it twice.
diff

Homework Statement

If F(x,y)=0 find d^2y/dx^2 in terms of the partial derivatives of F(x,y).

Homework Equations

dy/dx= -Fx/Fy

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to differentiate dy/dx with respect to x again, I thought I can get d^2y/dx^2 . But I couldn't find it. Actually I don't know how to deal with Fy or Fx. When I differentiate Fx with respect to x, Fx becomes Fxx? Or when I differentiate Fy with respect to x, it equals Fyx or not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is Fx or Fy? Use the total derivative:

[tex] \frac{dF}{dx} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]

Amok said:
What is Fx or Fy? Use the total derivative:

[tex] \frac{dF}{dx} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]

But when I do that, I get dy/dx. But I have to find d^2y/dx^2.

if you mean [itex] F_{xy} = \frac{\partial^2 F }{\partial y \partial x}[/itex], then yes, so i would attempt to differntiate again w.r.t. x

Last edited:
diff said:
But when I do that, I get dy/dx. But I have to find d^2y/dx^2.

You'll have to do it twice :p

What do you mean by Fx and Fy?

Amok said:
You'll have to do it twice :p

What do you mean by Fx and Fy?

The problem is that I couldn't do it :P

Fx means partial derivative of F w.r.t x

lanedance said:
if you mean [itex] Fxy = \frac{\partial^2 F }{\partial y \partial x}[/itex] then yes, so i would attejmpt to differntiate again w.r.t. x

Sorry, but I don't understand.

differntiate this expression again w.r.t. x using the chain rule & partial differntiation
[tex]
\frac{dF}{dx} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dx}
[/tex]

Since, as Amok and lanedance have said,
[tex]\frac{dF}{dx}= \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2F}{dx^2}= \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)+ \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

A chain rule problem perhaps?

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} (-\frac{Fx}{Fy}) = -\frac{Fxx}{Fy} + Fyx\frac{Fx}{(Fy)^2}
[/tex]

If you treat Fx and Fy as just 'ordinary' functions you can manipulate them by taking another partial differential and still be independant of the total function (since the outcome is all wrt x anyhow).

Last edited by a moderator:
lanedance said:
differntiate this expression again w.r.t. x using the chain rule & partial differntiation
[tex]
\frac{dF}{dx} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dx}
[/tex]

I did it in the first step, thanks anyway.

HallsofIvy said:
Since, as Amok and lanedance have said,
[tex]\frac{dF}{dx}= \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2F}{dx^2}= \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)+ \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}\right)\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Thanks for your help, I need to find d^2y/dx^2 not d^2F/dx^2. I think I can find it now.

mege said:
A chain rule problem perhaps?

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} (-\frac{Fx}{Fy}) = -\frac{Fxx}{Fy} + Fyx\frac{Fx}{(Fy)^2}
[/tex]

If you treat Fx and Fy as just 'ordinary' functions you can manipulate them by taking another partial differential and still be independant of the total function (since the outcome is all wrt x anyhow).

Actually when you take the partial derivative of F w.r.t x , it is quite different from Fxx. But, thanks anyway.

diff said:
Thanks for your help, I need to find d^2y/dx^2 not d^2F/dx^2. I think I can find it now.

Do what HOI said till the end and you'll see that [tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} [/tex] is bound to appear.

Amok said:
Man, just do till the end and you'll see that [tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} [/tex] is bound to appear.

Yeah, I know it, thanks, finally I found it :D

Related to Finding d^2y/dx^2 in terms of F(x,y)

1. What is the meaning of d^2y/dx^2?

The notation d^2y/dx^2 represents the second derivative of the function y with respect to x. It measures the rate of change of the slope of the function at a particular point.

2. How can d^2y/dx^2 be found in terms of F(x,y)?

To find d^2y/dx^2 in terms of F(x,y), we need to use the chain rule and the product rule of differentiation. First, we find dy/dx in terms of F(x,y) using the chain rule. Then, we differentiate this expression again with respect to x to get d^2y/dx^2 in terms of F(x,y).

3. Can F(x,y) be any function to find d^2y/dx^2 in terms of F(x,y)?

Yes, F(x,y) can be any function as long as it is differentiable with respect to both x and y. This means that the function must have continuous partial derivatives with respect to both variables.

4. What is the significance of finding d^2y/dx^2 in terms of F(x,y)?

Finding d^2y/dx^2 in terms of F(x,y) allows us to understand the behavior of the function y in relation to both x and y. It can help us determine the concavity of the graph, which is important in optimization problems and curve sketching.

5. Are there any other methods to find d^2y/dx^2 besides using F(x,y)?

Yes, there are other methods such as using implicit differentiation or using the second-order partial derivatives of the function y. However, expressing d^2y/dx^2 in terms of F(x,y) is a commonly used approach in many mathematical applications.