Finding Distance from the Origin Given Velocity Graph

In summary, it appears that the rocket-powered hockey puck moves along a horizontal friction-less table at a velocity of 40 cm per second.
pocketofcandy

Homework Statement

A rocket-powered hockey puck move along a horizontal friction-less table. The figure (link posted below) shows the graphs of vx and vy, the x- and y- components of the puck's velocity. The puck starts at the origin. How far from the origin is the puck at 4 seconds?

Here is the picture of the two graphs: https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1384028/7/4-9.jpg

[moderator's edit: Here's an inserted copy of the image just in case the link evaporates some day]
upload_2016-9-18_14-15-13.png

Homework Equations

area of a triangle: 1/2(b)(h)
area of a square: (l)(w)
sqrt(x2+y2)

The Attempt at a Solution

It appears on the on the vx graph that the velocity increases by an increment of 8 cm every second. (It is confirmed to be at 40 cm at 5 seconds). So I thought the way to do this would be to find the area under both graphs from 0 to 4 seconds.
On the vx graph, I found the area to be 1/2*4*32 = 64 cm. On the vy graph, I found the area to be 30*4 = 120 cm. Then I tried to use the formula for distance to solve and came out with:
sqrt(642 + 1202) = 136 cm.

However, whenever I put this answer in, it says it is incorrect. I guess I'm not really the best at physics, so I'm wondering where it was I made the error? I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Strange as your answer seems to be correct at least from my judgement
I suppose make sure your answer is rounded correctly and that if required your answer is inputted with the correct units
Other than that I do not see an issue with your method
Maybe significant figures or something?

Oh I see now that the site wants the answer to two significant figures. So that would be 1.4 meters then?

pocketofcandy said:
Oh I see now that the site wants the answer to two significant figures. So that would be 1.4 meters then?
I believe so

It worked that time. Thank you!

1. How do you find the distance from the origin given a velocity graph?

The distance from the origin can be found by calculating the area under the velocity graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes (such as rectangles or triangles) and finding their respective areas. Then, adding up all the areas will give the total distance from the origin.

2. What is the relationship between velocity and distance in a graph?

The slope of the velocity graph represents the velocity at a given point, and the area under the graph represents the distance traveled. Therefore, the steeper the slope, the greater the velocity, and the larger the area, the greater the distance traveled.

3. Can the distance from the origin be negative?

Yes, the distance from the origin can be negative if the velocity graph crosses the x-axis and dips below it. This indicates that the object has traveled in the opposite direction from the origin.

4. How does the shape of the velocity graph affect the distance from the origin?

The shape of the velocity graph can greatly impact the distance from the origin. For example, a straight diagonal line indicates a constant velocity and a linear increase in distance. A curved line, on the other hand, indicates a changing velocity and a non-linear increase in distance.

5. Can the distance from the origin be calculated if the velocity graph is not a straight line?

Yes, the distance from the origin can still be calculated even if the velocity graph is not a straight line. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller sections and finding the area under each section, then adding them all together to get the total distance from the origin.