Finding expression for non-uniform current density of a wire

In summary, the current density in a wire is proportional to the distance from the center of the wire and the current is distributed evenly in the wire.
phys-student

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire, radius R, carries total current I. The current is distributed in the wire so that the current
density is proportional to s, the distance from the center of the wire.
(a) Write an expression for the current density J in the wire, as a function of s.

Homework Equations

J=dI/da

The Attempt at a Solution

J=2*s*I/R2
I'm pretty sure my attempted solution is correct because when you integrate J from 0 to R with respect to s you get the total current I. However I kinda just pulled this out of thin air and I'm pretty sure I won't get full marks without showing my work. Is there a different way to do this besides just making up an expression for J like I did?

Physics news on Phys.org
phys-student said:
The current is distributed in the wire so that the current

How would you express this statement in mathematical form?

I don't know, that's what I'm trying to understand. I was trying to express that statement in mathematical form but couldn't figure it out, so I settled on the expression that I have simply because integrating it over the cross section of the wire results in the total current I

phys-student said:

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire, radius R, carries total current I. The current is distributed in the wire so that the current
(a) Write an expression for the current density J in the wire, as a function of s.

Homework Equations

J=dI/da

The Attempt at a Solution

J=2*s*I/R2
I'm pretty sure my attempted solution is correct because when you integrate J from 0 to R with respect to s you get the total current I. However I kinda just pulled this out of thin air and I'm pretty sure I won't get full marks without showing my work. Is there a different way to do this besides just making up an expression for J like I did?
I'm pretty sure that's not right. Even the units are wrong.

Likely you're not integrating over an area.

Yep you're right. Totally forgot that I also need to integrate over the angle from 0 to 2 pi

Okay I'm good now, thanks

What is the formula for finding expression of non-uniform current density of a wire?

The formula for finding the expression of non-uniform current density of a wire is J = I/A, where J is the current density, I is the current, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

Why is it important to find the expression for non-uniform current density of a wire?

It is important to find the expression for non-uniform current density of a wire because it allows us to understand and accurately calculate the distribution of current within a wire. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits.

What factors can affect the non-uniform current density of a wire?

The non-uniform current density of a wire can be affected by factors such as the shape and size of the wire, the material it is made of, and the external magnetic fields present in the surrounding environment.

How can we measure the non-uniform current density of a wire experimentally?

To measure the non-uniform current density of a wire experimentally, we can use a Hall probe or a magnetometer to map out the magnetic field around the wire. From this information, we can calculate the current density using the Biot-Savart law.

Can the expression for non-uniform current density be applied to all types of wires?

Yes, the expression for non-uniform current density can be applied to all types of wires, regardless of their shape, size, or material. As long as the current and cross-sectional area are known, the formula can be used to calculate the current density at any point along the wire.