Finding Q1 and Q2 in coulombs law

In summary, Q1 and Q2 in Coulomb's Law represent the magnitude of two point charges measured in coulombs (C). To find Q1 and Q2, one needs to know the distance between the charges, the force exerted between them, and the constant k. The unit of measurement for Q1 and Q2 is coulombs (C). These charges can be negative, indicating opposite signs and resulting in attractive or repulsive forces. The value of Q1 and Q2 directly affects the force between them in Coulomb's Law, with a higher charge resulting in a stronger force.
D.J Falcon
0.36=(K)x(Q1xQ2/0.25^2)

Find Q1 and Q2 if Q1=3(Q2)

Using the solve function in my calculator I get Q1=2.74x10^-6 and Q2=9.13x10^-7

I would just like to know whether my answer is correct and how to do it in a calculator without using the solve function.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Yep sorry, missed out r :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need the value of r to solve the equation.

Hi D.J Falcon! :smile:

If Q1=3(Q2), then (K)x(Q1xQ2/0.252) = (K)x(3Q2xQ2/0.252) :wink:

1. What is Q1 and Q2 in Coulomb's Law?

Q1 and Q2 represent the magnitude of the two point charges involved in Coulomb's Law. These charges can be either positive or negative, and their values are measured in coulombs (C).

2. How do you find Q1 and Q2 in Coulomb's Law?

To find Q1 and Q2, you need to know the distance between the two charges, the force exerted between them, and the value of the constant k. Then, you can use the equation F = k * (Q1 * Q2) / (r^2) to solve for either Q1 or Q2.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Q1 and Q2 in Coulomb's Law?

Q1 and Q2 are measured in coulombs (C), which is the unit for electric charge. One coulomb is equivalent to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 protons or electrons.

4. Can Q1 and Q2 be negative in Coulomb's Law?

Yes, Q1 and Q2 can be negative in Coulomb's Law. This indicates that the charges are opposite in sign, with one being positive and the other being negative. The force between opposite charges is attractive, while the force between like charges is repulsive.

5. How does the value of Q1 and Q2 affect the force in Coulomb's Law?

The value of Q1 and Q2 directly affects the force between two charges in Coulomb's Law. As the value of the charges increases, the force between them also increases. Additionally, the force is directly proportional to the product of Q1 and Q2, meaning that if one charge doubles in value, the force will also double.