Finding radius of curvature of an eyeball

In summary, the problem involves finding the radius of curvature of the cornea in a simplified model of the human eye in order to focus an image on the retina. The lensmaker equation is used, assuming only one surface of the eye lens is curved.
navm1

Homework Statement

Consider a simplified model of the human eye, in which all internal elements have the
same refractive index of n = 1.40. Furthermore, assume that all refraction occurs at the
cornea, whose vertex is 2.50 cm from the retina. Calculate the radius of curvature of the
cornea such that the image of an object 40.0 cm from the vertex of the cornea is focussed
on the back of the eye (the retina).

Homework Equations

1/s+1/s'=1/f

1/f=(n-1)(1/R_1-1/r_2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I attempted to find the focal point with

1 / -40 + 1 / 2.5 = 0.375cm
With that I figured I should use the lensmaker equation but I've never seen a problem where you have to solve the radius of curvature and couldn't find any examples like this online.

I changed the equation to 1/f=(n-1)R and solved for R but I'm not sure if that would be the right thing to do.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

navm1 said:
I attempted to find the focal point with

1 / -40 + 1 / 2.5 = 0.375cm
Why is "40" prefixed by a minus sign?
I changed the equation to 1/f=(n-1)R and solved for R but I'm not sure if that would be the right thing to do.
Make it 1/f = (n-1)/R and you got a deal. It assumes the eye lens is plano-convex, i.e. only one surface is curved. That seems to be the intent of the problem (it mentions only one radius of curvature). In reality the cornea is convex-convex, though.

1. How is the radius of curvature of an eyeball measured?

The radius of curvature of an eyeball is typically measured using a technique called keratometry. This involves using a specialized instrument called a keratometer, which measures the curvature of the cornea. The cornea is the transparent front part of the eye that covers the iris and pupil. The keratometer directs a focused beam of light onto the surface of the cornea and measures the reflection of the light to determine its curvature.

2. Why is it important to know the radius of curvature of an eyeball?

The radius of curvature of an eyeball is an important measurement for determining the overall health and functioning of the eye. It can help diagnose conditions such as astigmatism, which is a common refractive error that affects the way light enters the eye and can cause blurry vision. It can also aid in fitting contact lenses and determining the appropriate corrective lens prescription.

3. What is the average radius of curvature of an eyeball?

The average radius of curvature of an eyeball is around 7.8 millimeters. However, this can vary depending on factors such as age, ethnicity, and any existing eye conditions. It is important to note that the radius of curvature can also differ between the cornea and the lens of the eye.

4. Can the radius of curvature of an eyeball change over time?

Yes, the radius of curvature of an eyeball can change over time. This is especially true for children, as their eyes are still developing and growing. It can also change due to certain eye conditions, injury, or surgery. It is important to have regular eye exams to monitor any changes in the radius of curvature.

5. How does the radius of curvature of an eyeball relate to vision?

The radius of curvature of an eyeball is directly related to the focusing power of the eye. A steeper or flatter curvature can affect how light enters the eye and is focused on the retina, which is the light-sensitive layer at the back of the eye. This can impact vision and may require corrective measures such as glasses or contact lenses to improve visual acuity.