Finding The Coordinates of The Center Of Curvature

In summary, the conversation discusses a curve given by y = f(x) and its curvature K. It also introduces the coordinates of the center of curvature at point P, which are determined by the formula (x_0 -f'(x_0)z , y_0 + z). The solution provided shows that the position of the circle compared to the curve is determined by the sign of f'', with a concave up curve resulting in the circle being above the curve and a concave down curve resulting in the circle being below the curve.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let C be a curve given by y = f(x). Let K be the curvature ([itex]K \ne 0[/itex]) and let [itex]z = \frac{1+ f'(x_0)^2}{f''(x_0)}[/itex]. Show that the coordinates [itex]( \alpha , \beta )[/itex] of the center of curvature at P are [itex]( \alpha , \beta ) = (x_0 -f'(x_0)z , y_0 + z)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached a picture of the solution. The portion of the solution with a half-box I would appreciate someone helping me with.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,655
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is no longer that day in which I learn Linear Algebra. Today is devoted to reviewing multivariable calculus and electricity and magnetism. Tomorrow is when I resume Linear Algebra.

With respect to your question in this thread, if f'' > 0 the curve is concave up, so the circle is above the curve. At the point shown, f'' < 0 so the curve is concave down and the circle is below the curve. That determines whether ##\beta## is less or greater than ##y_0##.

Ooh, you are very right. Thank you much for your help.

Related to Finding The Coordinates of The Center Of Curvature

1. What is the definition of the center of curvature?

The center of curvature is a point on a curved line or surface that is equidistant from all points on the curve. It is also the center of the circle or sphere that best approximates the curve at a specific point.

2. How do you find the coordinates of the center of curvature?

The coordinates of the center of curvature can be found by using the formula (x,y) = (x₀ + Rcosθ, y₀ + Rsinθ), where (x₀,y₀) is the point on the curve, R is the radius of curvature, and θ is the angle between the tangent and the x-axis at that point.

3. What is the relationship between the center of curvature and the radius of curvature?

The center of curvature and the radius of curvature are directly related. The center of curvature is the point where the radius of curvature intersects with the normal line to the curve at a specific point. The radius of curvature is the distance from the center of curvature to the point on the curve.

4. Can the center of curvature be located at a point on the curve?

No, the center of curvature cannot be located at a point on the curve itself. It is always located outside of the curve and is the center of the circle or sphere that best approximates the curve at that point.

5. How is the center of curvature used in optics?

In optics, the center of curvature is used to determine the focal length of a lens or mirror. It is also used in the design of lenses, telescopes, and other optical instruments to ensure that light rays are properly focused at a specific point.